interior mirror

Mandy used the Disco yesterday. The interior mirror, which has magically stayed put for almost 9 years, took it upon itself to leap off the screen.

What's the best substance to stick it back onto the screen with? Will a thin smear of silicone be up to it (it takes a bit of torque when you adjust the mirror). Especially if you are cack handed!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Lord forgive me.....

Go down Halfurds they do a gooey patch for the job.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

I should add... it's intended to be applied to the mirroe not Mrs H. ;-)

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Not superglue or epoxy - it's supposed to crack the glass as it sets.

David French

I had a vague recollection of something like that, but wasn't sure.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Hi buddy

I use to sell a glue specially for this made by loctite if I remeber rightly its in a yellow card pack and you can get it at motorworld / charliebrowns or I think halfords do it. It comes with a mesh patch that activates the glue just clean all the old stuff off trim the patch down if needed and apply the glue and hold in posistion I use to recomend that you put the blower on to the screen just to take the chill off it as it helps the glue to set if its warm.

The longer you can leave it without adjusting it the better ideally over night maybe a bit longer I have used this stuff on mirrors, car phone arials, and some warning lights that stuck to the inside of the glass and never had a problem.

And I repeat the warning given DONT USE SUPER GLUE it may not crack the screen but the glue is acidic when it comes to laminate and it will weekend the bond and in cases can crack the screen I have seen it put a 9" crack into one right down into field of veiw luckily the bloke was insured fully comp and a quick trip to autoglass sorted him out but he was still £50 out of pocket I did warn him first oh well people live and learn......the hard way :-)

Take care guys

Paul

Reply to
Paul Henry

Hi Tim, you can now buy, at least here, a special "WindScreen Adhesive" glue that is in a small tube and has enough for 2 applications.

I've used it on 2 vehicles and its still holding well.

When fitting, put a piece of paper on the outside, with the outline of the mirror foot drawn on it. This way you have a target to aim for, as these glues don't forgive any incorrect placement.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Tim Hobbs at snipped-for-privacy@101ambulance-urine.net wrote on 15/1/04 22:19:

Nails

Reply to
Rory Manton

On or around Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:01:03 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

Is the black bit still on the screen? There's normally a black bit bonded to the screen, and the mirror sticks to this. The special glue I've seen is for sticking mirrors to plain glass. and it didn't work.

local garage/bodyshop had some double-sided stickystuff, super-extra-strong which worked fine on one of mine which still had the black bit on the screen.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Pretty tough stuff that epoxy. When my windscreen wiper fell off in Norway (and got run oer by the car behind) all I had was epoxy resin to stick it back on (splines knackered) I have a new arm from paddocks, to replace the wonky one, but fer-the-life-of-me, I can't prise the old one off. I reckon the whole bulk head'll come with it. Don't mention those screws that hold the male-spline to the wiper shaft, they rusted off ages ago.

I think I'm going to have to saw the wiper's splined-bit off and then try and prise it off with the mole grips.

Are you missing all this mole grips, sawing bits of your car off and grazed knuckles stuff Dave-o, with your "hi-tec mobile sofa"?

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

The rear-view mirror fell off from my Mum's fiesta when I was younger and more foolish. It was probably something to do with me hitting it with my elbow while trying to climb into the back seat.

On the Fiesta in question, the mirror was fixed to the glass by a patch of rubber, which had adhesive on both sides. Our local Ford dealer sold me one for about three quid, which at the time would have bought me two pints of Hicks Special Draught if I hadn't been foolish enough to think I preferred Strongbow.

Reply to
QrizB

halfrauds also do a glue specifically for sticking mirrors onto windscreens. I used it on my daughters Fiesta and it's stayed in place for more than a year ... touch wood :-)

HTH Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Shouldn't that be rivets?