Is Billing Aquadrome now too small for the LRE Show?

Another show gone. Ok, improvents to the entrance / exit arrangements which have alleviated the traffic queues of old but I still can't help wondering how much longer the venue and its facilities can cope with the number of campers and day visitors ....and to the obvious influx of the light fingered brigade.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

I'd agree that the site can't cope - it's simply not big enough. I dread what would happen if there was a fire in the part we camped in - there wasn't a route round the perimeter due to some not so bright people thinking it was a good space to stop. So, lots of caravans, tents, vehicles, children, ONE route in/out, people approx. twice as close as fire regulations min. - it's not just dangerous, it's really stupid.

Billing itself isn't a particularly nice neighbourhood I must say - I left the wife for 10 minutes at the shopping centre down the road and a local pimp started hitting on her. I would imagine most of this light fingered brigade is local - another reason to move away.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

"William MacLeod" wrote

The Billing site has been like this for many years. I went there for a firework weekend. Those that had paid for mains hook-up were unable to cook/heat anything as the mains was tripping after only moments after being reset.

Outfits were again much too close. As you say, it's not just dangerous, it's really stupid.

I was a whole weekend visitor to the LRO/LRE show for many years, but the cost got too high and the show was never as good the next year.

The last few years, I've been a day visitor, but this year was probably my last. That's also got too expensive and was not as good as last year, which was not as good as the year before.

And yet again, the regular problem of the loos failing is still there.

The costs for visitors, and probably the cost of stands, will help to reduce numbers over the next few years.

But what other site could be used to replace Billing?

This year I went to Germany for the Abenteuer Allrad show at Bad Kissingen. They had similar cost problems, so stopped using the previous location for a field site. They had a string of coaches to get from the camping and parking site, that was close to a police station!

It was held the weekend before the DLRC international rally, very convenient.

Reg.

Reply to
Reg

My first time at billing we arrived at 5:30pm on thurs and told find a pitch. After an hours driving around ended up pitching our tent next to the go carts it was either that or on the roadside next to the train tracks.Having kids neither was a safe place to camp.There was idiots speeding around the road on the nights one mistake and if they ploughed into the lines of tents on the roadside who knows!!! Security!!! on the nights being near the funfair we had groups of p*ssed up local teenagers running around jumping onto tents groups dossed in the ladies toilets(not nice for my wife and daughter etc and no security at this part of the campsite at all. A bit further down the road from us on Sunday police were taking statements I think someone caught somebody nicking their landrover or bits of it.. Being an easy going person I can tolerate this but not nice for families , elderly etc..

Apart from that I had a bloody good time!!!!!!!!!!!!! And was well chuffed my series 3 did the 300miles round journey without a hitch.

I am thinking of going to lro show in sep can anyone tell me if they have the same problems there and how many weeks do I have to take of work to get a good pitch?

Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

The East of England Showground (venue for the LRO Show) is well set out and certainly has a better - less cluttered feel to it. Club stands tend to be somewhat cramped - for no apparent or logical reason, though.

Provided the weather is fine (which should be the case as 'Summer' seems to be slipping back later each year) it'll be a good show.

The organisers are now well onto security after their experiences at Driffield, so I reckon it'll feel a lot safer than Billing.

Reply to
Mother

The organisers are now well onto security after their experiences at

I agree with that Martyn. The showground certainly lends itself to better security and I've never seen the same number of, what to call them. 'oiks' there as Billing seems to increasingly be attracting these days. What I don't like about the LRO show is that the arena is so bloody big!

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

My favourite bit about the East of England Showground is that it is less than 10 miles away from me!! Get in on the club stand, evening entertainment, taxi home if I want, nice warm bed, clean shower, clean toilets...

Havong said that, what do I still do each year at the LRO Show???? Camp, its much more fun, and the atmosphere is steadily improving too!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster (how much more....)

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfriend's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)

Peterborough 4x4 Club

Simon Isaacs

in article cdp5fb$6jn$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com, Simon Isaacs at snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote on 22/7/04 8:44 pm:

We could easily just visit for the day, being in Leicester, but we've camped before and will be again this year. The showers and toilets where we've been camped both times have been pretty clean, and luckily not too far away. They could just do with some big signs which can direct you to Tesco as I've got myself lost at least once each time we've been. Wouldn't dream of camping at Billing for various reasons, the one at the top of the list is the overcrowding. Have also camped at Eastnor, which was nice, provided you don't want to use the toilets and showers which were vile.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley