Is Premium fuel necessary in 4.0 '99 Disco in Canada?

Just Curious if the additives in Premium fuel are worth the higher price. I see Chevron has a techron concentrate additive in a bottle you can use to help clean out and reduce deposits. Would this work?

I think our octane levels are 87, 89, and 94 for the most part in Canada but hear mixed reports on how important premium fuel really is.

I have been trying the slightly less than premium 89 octane for a few months in the thirsty 4.0 and she seems a bit sluggish in the mid rpm.

Can anyone attempt to enlighten?

Reply to
Bananaramma

So Bananaramma was, like

I've tried premium fuel in several vehicles (usually when someone else was paying for it). Not sure what the octane rating is, but it's supposed to be better than the standard UK stuff. In two Range Rovers (3.9 and 4.6) it didn't make the slightest bit of difference to prefoemance or economy.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Insufficient octane --> pre-ignition --> detected by ECU --> ECU retards timing --> reduced power output.

If you need a particular ocatne to run right, you've basically got to use it.

Reply to
EMB