Is Premium Gas the only way to go on the LR

I read in the manual to use only premium gas on m LandRovery Discovery II SE. I met someone who has owned four Land Rovers, his latest one being the LR3. He told me he uses unleaded 87 and has had no problems. Anyone else doing this?

Reply to
Just Me

On or around Fri, 29 Dec 2006 03:36:05 GMT, "Just Me" enlightened us thusly:

I reckon the modern ones should be OK on regular. All that cunning engine management must be good for something.

I recall when SAAB put their then-latest management system on their turbo engine, which was called APC - one of the magazines took it on a test drive around Europe where they found alleged petrol in the former Czechoslovakia where the "good" petrol was about 82 octane, and also German premium stuff at about 98 octane. Whatever they fed it, it ran correctly, but it lost about 25 BHP on the Czech stuff.

One of the old LR books I had has an ignition timing figure for running on

75 octane, something like 3 degrees *after* TDC. BiL Tim has a series III for running around the farm and for a while had it running on TVO which is not much more potent than paraffin.
Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

The saab APC system has a knock sensor in it. Once it detects knock/predet it lowers the boost - and that system is 20 years old! Trivial nowadays in the days of ECU's to alter the timing when knock is detected.

If you use really low octane petrol you dont get any turbo. Mine has too high compression and wont give me any turbo on anything other than tesco 90ron or unless it has octane booster in it :(

I saw a RR V8 in bits being rebuilt in the garage and it had multiple knock sensors on, so i assume it can detect the knock you would get from crappy petrol and adjust the timing to suit it - so you can use whatever you like in it and it will just go slower the crapper the stuff you use.

Reply to
Tom Woods