Is the 2.5 TD engine any good?

I am after a 90 to use as an off-roader. There are a few nice cheap ones around but they have the older 2.5TD fitted. I have heard that this engine is one to avoid as it's very unreliable.

Anyone got any thoughts on this please? How easy would it be to transplant a

200TDi into one in the future if needed?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Andy

It's not that bad, better not get the NA one though, or a 200tdi.

I had a TD & it's in Lee's motor now, still running fine.

Reply to
Nige

I thought the 200 TDi was the best one, supposedly bullet-proof??

Reply to
Andy

As long as it makes it to the next car, who gives?

Reply to
Nige

I have had my 1989 90TD for 10 years and (touch wood!!) it's going well at

130000+ miles
Reply to
Julian Pollard

I must be biased as I've got one on ebay #280208594138 :-), but, coming back to your question, the 2.5 TD is nowhere near as good as a 200 or 300Tdi but it's a big improvement on an N/A.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I'd agree about the Tdi, but the n/a isn't much slower than the TD and it's bulletproof - the Army used them for years and kept coming back for more.

Reply to
Rich B

I bought one that had 270k on the clock & was fine.

Reply to
Nige

All I can say is the TD you compared it with must have been utterly knackered. :-)

Heh..... It may have been bulletproof but I would rather have one that would run than have to use it as a shield.

- the Army used them for years and kept coming

But how many engines had it had fitted? :-)

Reply to
Oily

The 300TDi is the one the UK military still buys...

Reply to
William Black

Yup this one has just gone past the 123456 mileage last week :-)

Not all the quick with the caravan on and fully loaded. But plodding along at 55mph on the motorway is fine seeing as bank hols will mean so is everyone else!

200 tdi is much better on paper and I understand less relaibility issues. There are web sites dedicated to the conversion. Steve parker does a kit for a Disco engine as the turbo/manifold is diffewent than the defender version.

I will be going to 200 tdi if only to explore veggie oil which is more complicated on a TD.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

So its your fault...

Reply to
madhatchetman

On or around Mon, 17 Mar 2008 00:18:15 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

somewhere I've got a photo of the speedo on my CSW showing 234567, although that of course is not on it's original engine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:13:31 -0000, "William Black" enlightened us thusly:

It is.

For 2 (main) reasons - hey don't want the electronics on the TD5 (won't survive an EMP attack) and the 200 TDi is no longer produced.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I thought the 300TDi had some sort of chip in it.

Reply to
William Black

Not the normal one it doesn't

Reply to
Nige

Later releases have an "ecu" but IIRC all it does is manage the exhaust gasses. My 300TDi is gadget-free. From the wiring diagram I have for a Defender, the ECU apparently hides under the driver's seat. I don't recall which versions of 300TDi defender have them but I know mine isn't one.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Military Machines International April 2008 edition has an article on modern technology in military vehicles. They don't mind electronics too much but can only go as far as euro 3 spec on the engine, that seems to be where they're digging their heels in as the others have all sorts of weird shit to keep pandas in the mood.

They've also standardised on independent suspension on small to medium sized vehicles because they reckon it's got a 2-3 fold speed advantage over rough ground than beam axles, but on heavy load carriers they prefer beams and leaf springs as it's the most reliable and the load carriers don't need speed (so no independent suspension) or much off-road capability (so leafs are OK). There's currently one load carrier with independent suspension in production, from oshkosh I think, the rest are beams. I might write in though because that last bit is according to the article, but tatra trucks have independent suspension, I don't know if the writer regards them as beams or independent.. I don't know if Tatra are in the military market much these days though.

Also some work has been done on using hybrids but so far, and not for a very long time into the future, they're regarded as totally unsuitable due to reliability issues. You see companies like Oshkosh displaying hybrid models on their web pages but they're not apparently being bought, or possibly even being sold. It looks "good" for those who think such things are more important than not getting killed.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Only the late ones - ECU and EGR valve. Not as all-knowing as the Td5, mind.

Reply to
Rich B

What sort of dates are we talking about here?

Mine's an early 1996.

Reply to
William Black