Is the 2.5 TD engine any good?

My 97 Auto had the EGR and chip - don't know about any others. ISTR it was only the last couple of years of production.

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:41:06 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

EDC was only on autos, I thought. Boosted the power a bit. The EGR is on all of them but it matters not, it's easily circumvented.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Is that the electronically controlled EGR stuff? If so it's never been on mine.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:09:16 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

Well, I thought all 300s had EGR. Maybe that was only the discos.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yeah nige .......How many engines.

When the TD first came out they were changing them weekly under warranty.

They suffer badly from cracked pistons and heads.

They pressurise the crank case pushing oil into the air filter, many have had the breather system changed to stop this from happening.

If I buy a 90 or 110 in with a TD engine in, it gets scrapped or re-engined. As I can't warranty a TD.

That said even though the are technically knackered they keep going for ages with all these faults.

Most will have developed the symptoms by 50,000 miles.

A 200 is much more cost effective in the long run.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Indeed, the 2.5 D was never redesigned to cope with the heat loadings from the turbo, even though it only blows at 6-7psi.

An intercooler, proper setting up, and the PCV mod cures them, but having said that, you might as well fit a 200TDi which is a far better engine.

Tim,.

Reply to
Tim..

I reckon so, there's hardly a wire to be seen in my engine bay! Mind you could all be hidden under the muck I suppose..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In addition I would venture that until the 1.8 freelander that the 2.5TD was the worse engine that Landrover ever fitted . . . . . . . . . oh wait a min..... no the VM unit fitted to the RRC was just as s**te.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Just as the slightly redesigned VM 2.5 that they fitted to the Cherokee was attrociously awful...!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

That's the dog with four heads innit?

Mate of mine has got one, and for some reason no-one will buy it from him. Absolute mongrel of an engine.

Reply to
Pete M

On or around Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:13:05 +0000, Pete M enlightened us thusly:

Actually, it's not as bad as all that - however, it suffered from inadequate attention to re-torqueing the head bolts, AIUI, leading to premature gasket failure.

VM are actually quite a respected company in diesel engine circles. The LDV Maxus van has a VM, though I doubt it's the same one as the RRs.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I had one, did the head gaskets twice and replaced the pistons and bearings ... however apart from that it's a better spec engine than the 200 tdi on paper. I've never compared like with like mind. Though I'd have avoided it through reputation and yes the head gaskets were a pita otherwise it was a sound engine. There are many more VM's out there than there will ever be 200 tdi's ... they also have them in Granda , Omega, Rover, Jeep, (came to my rescue when landrover didn't have parts in Jeep did!). The basic engines main application is in a marine engine so there will be shed loads of boats with them fitted too.... awaits anchor gag :-)

I seem quite fond and partial to all these lumps no one wants :-) Remember - A Landrover is not just for Christmas!

If the 2.5 TD in the 110 had the power of the 2.5 VM then that would be a nice engine. If reliability was a primary concern then we'd all be running Land cruisers and the green oval would have been dead a long time ago.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

My mates Cherokee hasn't had any head problems yet, and it's on 107k miles, but it's definately the poor relation in comparison to the 4.0 petrol one, and if it's driven in such a way as to make progress it doesn't seem much better on fuel.

VM do some pretty good engines, but the one in the Cherokee seems to be an exception. The VM lump in the Rover SD1 seemed to go ok, if memory serves me right.

Reply to
Pete M

... it wasn't on the early ones, even autos.

Reply to
Dougal

LOL, its about as far away from the original 4x heads effort as apple crumble is from sherry trifle.

In 2.8 guise now in the Maxus, its not too bad. Long term reliability both mechanically and electronically (the CR wiring looms aren't upto Bosch or Delphi standards) are as yet un-known...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..