Isuzu or Daihatsu turbo Diesel?

Evening to all, Which would be better in a Range Rover Classic, i.e.:- fitting, power, parts ect turbo 2.8 litre Daihatsu diesel or turbo 2.8 litre Isuzu diesel ?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

200 Tdi !

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Found one nice and cheep in a Rangy already !!!!!!!!! as they are 2.8 and the 200TDi is only 2.5 would they not be more powerful

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Looking at putting a diesel in a RR, consider WEIGHT, new front springs, reinforcing front axle housing. The Izuzu is a heavy, noisy lump, not as refined as the Tdi200 or 300, but it does have more grunt. Michael T

1988 Range Rover Tdi Auto
Reply to
TF

Yes thanks for the advice on the weight issue which I am aware of, are you aware of any reliability issues ?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Not necesserily - the 2.8 Dihautsu engine of the same vintage as a 200Tdi is only 97hp, against the 200Tdi's 111hp. Don't assume size matters - Steeds 6.5L Bentley produces........ 28hp!

And then you need to check the engine is what you think its, there's at least one Range Rover Claasic round here that has an Isuzu engine - from the standby generator of a lift system. It's Not Very Good.........

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yeah but it's got 8 floors of ground clearance!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

One last thing are both these engine of similar outputs as both are 2.8 and turboed ?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

On or around Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:15:22 +0000, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

Which seems improbable - if we're tlaking about a vintage bentley; it might well have a rating of 28hp, but that's an RAC formula rating not a power output; on the same basis the Austin 7 is rated 7hp and so on. It's something similar to the french CV figures; a 2CV is not 2 hp, but about 25.

The RAC formula was notable for not considering the engine stroke, hence all the old long-stroke motors.

oooh:

he had a land-rover as well!

This page

reckons the speed six had about 180 bhp.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| Which seems improbable - if we're tlaking about a vintage bentley; || it might well have a rating of 28hp, but that's an RAC formula || rating not a power output; on the same basis the Austin 7 is rated || 7hp and so on. It's something similar to the french CV figures; a || 2CV is not 2 hp, but about 25.

This is a misprint. Should read 2.5.

:-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

It would have to be cheap or else I wouldn't consider them an option, the

200 Tdi is a cracking engine and all the parts are easily available off the shelf.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Yes cheep only £200 for old A reg Range Rover as well as the engine and g/box :-)) once installation is done I will report on my findings of the performance ( if you can call it that ) and fuel consumption ect:

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Can't knock it at that price, lots of other spares as well. ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Ah yes, my thoughts exactly, can never have tooo many spares plus bits of chassis for repair sections, gives me a rear axle and rear half of chassis might even stretch it and go 6x6. He he he, we will have to see..

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Having run my Daihatsu conversion for 22 months now (2.8 turbo) I can say it is a great conversion and it is a great offroad power house for my 90.

This sort of evolved on me from getting a cheap engine (£100) to buying the conversion kit and getting drowned with the V8 on a river crossing trip which convinced me to go diesel.

I have heard that one of the Isuzu's 3.0 or 2.8 aren't so good , so check that out, one is definitely better than the other.

Good luck, and if you go for the Daihatsu I'm sure I can offer some advice.

Regards, Roy.

Reply to
LR90

Hi Roy thanks for the reply, got the 2.8TD and Classic 4 door Range Rover for £200, Rangy not worth saving but will have all useful parts off it and engine and 4 speed box. What is your fuel consumption like in the 90 ? Where do you go for spares for the engine ?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Rich, mpg is easily 30-35 mpg, spares I normally find on ebay, whole engines go for £100-£150 but mine has been pretty bomb proff up to now despite getting thrashed offroad regularly. Best advice I was given from a Daihatsu trained mech was to use fully synthetic engine oil as the lube pipe to the turbo clogs easily with non synthetic. I now use the 90 as my daily run about which i couldn't afford to do with the V8.

Regards, Roy.

Reply to
LR90

Sound good with the MPG figures do they use a cam belt or is chain or gears for can shaft drive will see once its on the road and compare fuel consumption figures, interesting about the turbo oil line will have a look at that.

Cheers Rich

Reply to
Rich

The earlier Diahatsu a 2.4 I think was gear driven timing but I dont know about the others and as far as I know the Isuzus are belt.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Never mind I will see once I get it home and start playing with it ;-) cant wait.

Rich

Reply to
Rich