It's 6:57 are you going to work???

....that was my subtle hint I got today.. indeed I was going to work and needed to be taking the night shift off at 7.00am.

It's amazing how quick you can do your morning abloutions when you really need to. However this was only my first test. Whilst quickly having a shave I'm thinking how I'm going to break the news at work.. do I tell a white lie? The cars broken? nope in the end I come clean and admit I've had an involuntary lie in.

I jump into Percy (Remember the Rangie is still in bits!) and tell myself to watch the choke as the previous day for some unknown reason Percy flooded.

Anyway I give him as little an amount of choke as Humanly possible and still he floods at the first junction and comes to a halt. Fortunately it's all down bank back to the house so I roll back down the street and 3/4 of the way up the drive. A heave gets the remaining wheel off the pavement and onto the Drive.

Run in the house and got the 101 Keys... now it's been a while.. infact Morph last moved to clear the gates for the Rangie to be deposited in the rear garden a couple of weeks ago and prior to that its been months since he did owt. I didn't really need to be told but the clickerty click of the starter motor confirmed my suspicions. Bugger it!

Run Back in the house and think thank God it's Saturday. At least I can Steal Mrs D's car... run out and fortunately the Disco actually works!.... go to work and have one of those days.....

I recall Tim had one of these days a few months back.. now apart from the over sleeping the whole experience has me utterly peed off with cars... that and having to hand winch Percy in to some sort of sensible position after work. He still refuses to fire up, cleaned the plugs which were well sooted up but proceeded to flatten the battery again. I gave up and went back to work on the Rangie, spent most of the night trying to Bleed the Brakes after having to fit new hoses and pipework, bugger all luck.. the Easy bleed has past it's best so I need to get a new one in the morning.

Fortunately Morph is now running as I bought 2 new batteries on the way home from work (ouch!). I need some transport for next week to pick up the kids.

Lord knows whats up with Percy.. Seems to have a spark according to the strobe test lamp.

Whole experience has me now questioning why I bother with all these toys.

:-(

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Because you just know it wouldn't be the same getting into a Mundano every morning, whether it starts first time every time or not!

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:41:30 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

what fuel system? sounds like summat's dumping about 30% too much petrol in there... :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Beacuse, Like us.....

YOU LOVE IT!!!!

Reply to
mark solesbury

Everybody has those sort of days sometimes!

Atleast you didnt also manage to get the only working car blocked in the back of the drive by the broken ones! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

H'mm Jury is still out on that.... spent the morning sorting the Brakes on the Rangie.

DOH! now who would have thought that the day light would reveal a third bleed nipple on the front calipers!

Had to be at work this afternoon so after installing a IIa Choke Cable on the 101 (proper stiff cable, none of that stranded crap) and tidying out the

101 incase I need it to convey the Pixies in the week, I then got stuck in on the Rangie.... Got it portable again sufficent to get to work and back.. Mrs D reclaimed her Disco :-)

Needs a seat mount refitting (passenger seat you'll be pleased to know!).

Servo rod needs adjustment as I swapped it for a new one while all the pipes were all off. Other than that all seems well at the moment.

Didn't have time to look at Percy... come to think of it didn't have time to scratch my arse but all in all some form of progression. Hope to look at Percy in the Morning.. Hopefully he's just coaked up and needs a good old clean out. The Carbs need changing but never have they cause me to come to an involunatary halt before.

I'll give it a month before placing any adds just incase it's one of those blips on the radar kind of months.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Was Efi in it's previous incarnation, now and for the last 2 years been running on HS6's,,, should by rights be HS8's and has been on my list of things to do. Once the Rangie is back to some sort of normality I'll have to pop over to Wrexham where there is a Jag breakers yard. They sell a Auto choke converison kit to get rid of the Bloody horrid AED's on Jags. The only advantage the Currrent HS6's have is a manual Choke but they have still never been right for the Engine.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I think I'm in denial! Crap time of year, MOT's, Tax, Crashes, Minor infernos, early morning Drama's and No Landie shows for the forseeable. And the fleets falling apart around my ears and I've still got two tonnes of bare ally on the drive waiting for a lick of paint.

Hopefully this is the bottom of the depression.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Getting the 101 out had it of started would have been interesting and fully tested those steering box bearings.... either that or Percy would have needed a new front end. A few hours Winching Percy from Various other disabled Landies soon had him back in a more suitable position latter that evening.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sun, 03 Oct 2004 23:43:42 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

you make sure you bleed 'em in the right order, too...

actually, having said that, not sure it's relevant to the Rangie, but the later sherpas which have dual-circuit brakes and 3 nipples on the front have to be bled in the right order or it doesn't work, IIRC.

how many brake pipes to each front caliper?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A pair to each front caliper. The pedal now seems to be firm all be it too low... Pumping doesn't make it any higher so I suspect the air is now out... I did the lower two first then the upper invisble one last :-) with absoloutley no reference to any books.... The Hiss of air comming from the upper one alone was a Uh hu moment.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Mon, 04 Oct 2004 12:13:47 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

I think the sherpas had a funny split. IIRC the discos and RRs have the one circuit doing half the front brakes and the rear brakes, while the 2nd circuit does the other 2 front pistons on each side.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What are these "6.57" and "7.00am" things of which you speak?

Reply to
Mother

Yep,

For RRC (1988 vintage):

Lower pair of pots on front caliper = Primary circuit (one nipple per pot, i.e. two per caliper)

Upper pair of pots on front caliper = Secondary circuit and are linked through top of caliper body, hence one bleed nipple towards top, inner edge of same.

Secondary circuit also supplies rear calipers.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

On or around Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:34:53 +0100, Richard Savage enlightened us thusly:

that sounds the same as the disco. ISTR the sherpa had a diagonal split, so you had to bleed the brakes in the correct order, or you chased air around the system.

and I can tell you from experience that losing the secondary circuit and only having half the front brakes don't arf make it difficult to stop the beast.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

An improvement from the old days of the 6.00 am start when one had to be up far to early for Human consumption. Usually following a 11pm finish the day before if and only if you were lucky.... at least something european working time regulations have subsequently extended life expectancy by 10 years, much to the disgust of the pensions dept.

If ever I find out who invented these unearthly hours of the morning I will not be responsible for my actions.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Yeah. I did shifts for a while many years ago. 6am - 2pm one week,

2pm - 10pm the next, then the killer 10pm - 6am. The 4th week in the cycle was called 'middle turn', which was 9am - 5pm. This was when we actually did the backlog of paperwork caused by being to knackered on tother shifts!

Thankfully no young kids or demanding jobs warrant me ever having to get up before 08.00 these days.

Reply to
Mother

Funny you say that the nights were the killer, I prefer my 10pm to 6am shift, my boss is not around and I can actually get on and run the shift the way I want to. If I have a course on a Tuesday I get Monday night and Tuesday night off, meaning a 4 day week, and still get paid for 5 days.

I hate 6am to 2 pm, to many of the SMT kicking about interfering in stuff that they know sod all about; I spend the day going from unnecessary meeting to unnecessary meeting, get moaned at for being in an unnecessary meeting that the SMT have called when the poo hits the fan and can't respond. Oh, and having to get up at 04:30 to be at work for 5:15 for handover.

On the plus side, our food bill is quite low because we live on soup..... Breakfast this morning at 06:15 was a carton of Smoked Haddock Chowder, and lunch was Minestrone....

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster (how much more....)

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, Fully restored, ready for sale! Make me an offer! Suzuki SJ410 (Fiancée's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)

Peterborough 4x4 Club

Simon Isaacs