It's here!

An interesting question I ask myself is that if I had all the money in the world to spend on a motor what might I buy?

A Scammel Explorer probably :(

Reply to
Larry

New arrival here at last! 1996 P38A 4.6HSE in Epsom Green. Picked it up in Sheffield this morning and brought it back via a customer in Harrogate. Lovely on the motorway and I averaged 19.6mpg over the whole day, on a mixture of unleaded and LPG (but not at the same time.)

117K on the clock but it had a brand new short engine 7000 miles ago, so I'm hoping it will give good service for some years yet. It's in immaculate condition.

The air suspension pump is a little noisy but I'm hoping it's the mountings as suggested on Andy's website. And the cruise control doesn't work, but apparently they all do that...

So for a short time I have 2 Solihull products - heaven!

David.

1992 Discovery 200Tdi 1996 Range Rover 4.6HSE
Reply to
David French

Nice big 8 wheeler 1950s thingy?

Company near where I lived have a concourse one which does the local ag shows. Nice looking motor with custom coachwork.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Mine would have to be one of Agostini's old MV Agusta racing bikes ..

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

David> New arrival here at last! 1996 P38A 4.6HSE in Epsom Green. David> Picked it up in Sheffield this morning and brought it back David> via a customer in Harrogate. Lovely on the motorway and I David> averaged 19.6mpg over the whole day, on a mixture of David> unleaded and LPG (but not at the same time.)

And a big grin to boot, no doubt!

David> The air suspension pump is a little noisy but I'm hoping David> it's the mountings as suggested on Andy's website. And the David> cruise control doesn't work, but apparently they all do David> that...

Usually a split vacuum hose - should be fairly simple to trace down and repair.

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"

Paul> Larry wrote: >> An interesting question I ask myself is that if I had all the >> money in the world to spend on a motor what might I buy?

For me, a new Range Rover Vogue with all the toys Overfinch can throw at it.

AndyC

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"
Reply to
AndyC the WB

Where in Sheffield?

Had I known I'd have offered fresh coffee and a tour of Poggle Wood and the 101ish delights herein :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Tatra 813 Kolos

Makes all other off-roaders look like toys.

Used in the Paris-Dakar rally.

These are the vehicles which got me hooked on Land Rover FC's. Lack of space unhooked me but I would not have been unhooked if I'd of had a Kolos!

Alvis Stalwart!? Pah!! Gimme a Kolos!

Reply to
PDannyD

Bruce says good choice of colour.

So was ours when we first got it;-) 7 years on, the centre cubby box has no lid. At least two inner door linings are off(locks playing up) the rear sunroof you could have a shower under and there have been so many things spilt on it the seats they would fall to bit if it wasn't for the seat covers. So don't let kids in it if you want to keep it that way.

We've got three so there!

Reply to
Nikki

yeah, theyve got one here

tatra813.htm

tanksforsale - now thats what url's were invented for. . . does what it says on the can!

ted

"PDannyD"

Reply to
teddave

Not sure exactly where, I just followed the GPS!

Would have been delighted to take you up on your offer, but I was with a colleague and on the way to a meeting, so it wouldn't really have worked out. Oddly enough, my brother-in-law bought a Disco TD5 in Sheffield the day before!

But that leads me to suggest, why don't we (as in the regulars in this NG) get together some time in Midlands, for a bit of green laning for a small number of vehicles and a general muck around?

David.

Reply to
David French

On or around Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:48:38 +0000, AndyC the WB enlightened us thusly:

ditto, though I think I might not go the whole overfinch hog. depends. I've also a hankering for a castle or suitable substitute and a small, select stable of classic/vintage cars, though sadly they're unlikely to include the Invicta Saloon which the lot in Wandsworth had for sale years ago, ex-show model with about 30 miles on the clock...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A castle would suit me fine, and an estate in Scotland to go with it, of course a helicopter might be useful as well for trips into town for shopping

Reply to
Larry

I'm not so impressed with their green text on a green background approach. Now i know how my dad feels when he's sitting there squinting at things!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Bruce's wish list is

  1. Triumph Rocket III
  2. Range Rover Vogue - must be green and isn't fussy about the Overfinch bits and all children banned;-)
  3. 101
  4. a Lightweight, petrol

as for me, I'd be quite happy with a Discovery or a Defender, not brand new but newer than the one we have now. This would be for transporting the kids and dog in as they would be banned from the Range Rover.

We'd also buy a house in the countryside, we like Wales, but a more practical area would be Kent or Sussex where my parents are from, preferably near the sea, with some land and a wood so Bruce can go shooting whenever he feels like it. It would also have to have some outbuildings for Bruce's collection of wood, woodwork machinery etc, and if the kids were really lucky they could have some horses.

I almost forgot to say that I would also employ someone to do the ironing because I detest it so much.

Reply to
Nikki

Well, never mind "years to come". It broke down after 300 miles. It's now on a breakdown truck on the way back to Sheffield.

It hasn't been switching over to LPG, so I wondered if the tanks were too empty. So, driving down the M3 to the nearest LPG station, and every time I reach 2000 revs, the engine is losing all power and falling back to tickover. Oh dear. Kangaroo to the LPG garage and fill up, thinking that if it's a fuel filtration problem, it should go away running on LPG.

So, over to LPG, and within about half a mile it gets even worse. As I'm pulling over to the side of the road, I hear 2 quite noticeable metallic clunks (of the "this sounds serious" variety) and possibly a backfire, and the whole thing packs in - dashboard, oddly, shows "Gearbox fault". After a few minutes I tried to restart it, to see if any life was there, and the engine won't fire properly and is making a nasty metallic noise.

Winching it onto the breakdown truck in Neutral, and there is a grinding noise coming from the transmission as well. All in all, this is beginning to look a bit of a bummer.

Then 2 hours sitting in the truck cab whilst my recovery agency, their subcontractor and the recovery contractor himself argue about what to do with it. The subcontractor is insisting it goes to a local garage, even though it's Saturday afternoon. In the end, after dozens of phone calls, they have all agreed to get it relayed back to Sheffield, to the dealer where I bought it, who will then get somebody to look at it. This could get worse, because I didn't buy a warranty with it.

Any thoughts on what problem could have simultaneously caused the engine to pack in, the gearbox to report a fault and the transmission to make grinding noises whilst being winched in neutral? No loss of fluids or any other outward sign of problems.

I may have to post a follow-up thread to ask what my consumer rights are, but I'm hoping it won't come to that.

Also I had somebody coming to look at the Disco this afternoon - had to knock that on the head because I can't sell it if I don't have a replacement.

David :(

Reply to
David French

I'm hoping #3 will work out. The dealer seemed genuinely very helpful, accommodating and all the positive things you usually don't get when dealing with people in the car trade. They were very helpful in sorting out a couple of other issues (exhaust leak, CD cart missing) before I bought. I'm pretty confident they will do their best to sort everything out, but if they're hit with a huge bill, it's possible they could push back. Anyway, let's see how things pan out, hopefully in a week or so I will be a happy bunny once more, if not then you know where I'll come for advice...

I guess that based on previous experience with dealers etc, I find it hard to believe that things are going to work out well without any further hitches. But I'll stay optimistic and see what happens. Hopefully this lot are the exception.

David.

Reply to
David French

David French tried to scribble ...

Agree with Martyn ..

However, on a personal note, I'd refuse any further help once it's back at the dealers and demand my money back.

From your description you have both a fuelling and a gearbox problem at least .. both of which may be minor, but both of which may also be horrendously expensive to 'properly' fix. I know that even if the dealer _did_ fix it, I'd always be wondering quite how well they fixed it ..

Having said that, it _is_ a Landrover, so it is made to be fixable .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Does that have 4 wheel steering? Pretty impressive.

"PDannyD"

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

What about those Kamaz things? They look fun.

David

Reply to
David French