Key Fob Frequency...???

Dear Landrover Owners.

I am trying to get a repacement "car key"...the Brisbane dealer here in Oz has quoted $252.00 for the fob + $70.00 for the programming. Pigs arse...!!!

I know there are cheaper generics but no-one can seem to get the frequency right. Landrover has quoted (they think) a frequency of 315 mhz.

Can anybody confirm or deny this.

Vehicle is a 1999 Discovery TD5 Series II.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Ric Norris. Brisbane. Australia.

Reply to
Ric Norris

Not sure about the new disco's

but my 300 is on 433.9?? as was the dragons metro

Frequencies of the key fobs can vary , so 315 MHz could be about right for your neck of the woods

Prices sound about right for main dealers ,

But hey that lot taught the highwayman how to rip people off

And the highwayman wore a mask!!

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

Which reminds me...

I had a trip recently where the immobiliser in my 300 Tdi 'fender umm.... immobilised me.

Permanently. It got confused or something.

As luck would have it I was in a metro area. 8 hours earlier, and I'd probably still be there, dying of thirst (it's Australia after all) with my better half and 2 year old son.

A quick call to an auto-sparkie fixed the problem permanently within the hour. He completely bypassed the immobiliser and now there is absolutely no chance of being stranded in the middle of the desert due to the immobiliser having a fit.

A byproduct is that I can start the beasty without having to have the little dongle-thingy on my keyring.

The chances of my landy being stolen are almost zero. I've only ever met one other blue 97 'fender, so it's just too easy to spot for most thieves (I hope). That and the 'secret switch' installed by the sparky should see me right.

Besides, I'd rather run the risk of it being stolen in a metro area, than it failing to start thousands of kms from home with dwindling water supplies and 40+ deg C temps and no shade...

Seriously folks, if you plan on doing really remote stuff (like the Simpson Desert or something), for the love of god.... please disable your immobiliser. They're dangerous, IMHO. Something to think about...

Reply to
asdf

Something else to think about, there's plenty of other reasons why it might not start, so crabbing on about one of them being a potential killer seems a bit daft, if you're going anywhere remote, make sure someone knows you're there and when you're coming back!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Standard advice for caving too. Pick your anticipated cave-exit time plus a couple of hours (depending on where you're going, obviously).

Tell someone responsible, "I'll 'phone you when we're out. Don't worry about us until then, but after that DO worry about us!"

Cheers,

S.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

It's a 'known problem'.

I had that done as well.

Me too, but you can get odd flashing lights on the dash for a minute or two...

But there is a 'fix' available.

William Black

Agreed, but we were talking about key fobs/dongly things, not all the other things that could leave you stranded.

Reply to
asdf

Try

I bought a couple of these and they were fine. Programming needs two people but was relatively easy and with the way the pound is against the AUD at the moment they will work out a lot cheaper thanyou have been quoted. BR Paul

Reply to
PM

Many thanks for the link. I will investigate.

Cheers.

Ric Norris.

Reply to
Ric Norris