Knocking sound

Hi

I have noticed that my TD5 Defender 110 (2002) has a knocking sound when I pull away in 1st gear. It is also noticeable in second gear. If I let the clutch out slowly and carefully it doesnt knock.

Is this something to worry about, or do all defenders have this knock?

Hope this is not a clutch / drivetrain problem.

Also - when I try and put it into low range gear I can only do it while the vehicle is moving slowly - if I do it with the vehicle standing still it jumps out of low range into neutral.

Please advise...

Thanks

Reply to
ikb

On or around 13 Dec 2006 00:06:13 -0800, "ikb" enlightened us thusly:

The transfer gears are not intended for easy shifting - it's quite often necessary to put the main box in gear and momentarily lift and then depress the clutch, so that the parts are turning as you slide it into mesh.

Shifting on the move, especially high-to-low, requires double-declutching and considerable practice.

we're all spoiled these days by modern easy-changing gear boxes...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

ikb came up with the following;:

Does it do it more with the steering turned? Thinking it could be a CV joint as this is exactly what mine sounded like when it went. Not too expensive to fix.

Could also, possibly, be the UJ's on the propshafts which are even easier and cheaper to fix.

If you're moving slowly then double de-clutch works best and is easiest on the 'boxes. Depress clutch and TB into neutral, release clutch, dip it again and into Low. I find if I hold the transfer lever with firm pressure it slides in, and stays in, quite easily, but it's a bit of an art and you need to develop a 'feel' for what the lever and the gears are doing.

If you have to change whilst stood then it can help to leave the main gearbox in gear, clutch in, and release the clutch so the gears are turning when you move the transfer lever. Don't move the clutch so far as to get the whole vehicle going, just enough to move the cogs.

Mine works fine when stood by just moving the levers with firm pressure, but there are days when clutch and gearbox movement work best ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

He said that the transfer box jumps *out* of low range unless he changes while moving, I use low range every time I drive the landy to reverse out of my drive (keeps the box lubricated) and I've never had it jump out of a gear once I've got it in there.

It does depend on how accurately the problem's been described though, one of us might find that it's perfectly normal and isn't jumping out of gear at all, he was just never really getting it in.

If he's getting it fully into gear and it's jumping out then that's more of a problem.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

My 2A did this when the handbrake was sticking slightly.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Mine does that, but just a little pressure on the lever to hold it in while moving off sorts it out fine. It's never jumped out after that.

Perhaps the OP can clarify whether it jumps out just initially, or at some later time too. I can't see why changing on the move would affect the latter.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Yesterday while trying to put it into low range, it wouldn't quite go in and when I pulled away it jumped into neutral. I then pulled away in high range and while driving slowly put it into low range, no problems since then. Just have trouble getting it in initially.

I am more worried about the slight knocking noise in normal driving,

1st and 2nd gears.

Worried this could be cluth or drivetrain related...

Reply to
ikb

On or around Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:36:23 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

story of my life...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Just have to fiddle with the knob more!

Hehe..

No-one mention half-shafts.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I don't think that I've missed it - but where is the noise?

From the gearbox area - is this the over-adjusted park brake again?

As for the engagement problem, get some lubricant onto the external linkage below the tunnel. Work it about and use it more frequently - initially engage and disengage each time you enter the vehicle, perhaps. It should ease up with use.

Reply to
Dougal

||| Perhaps the OP can clarify whether it jumps out just initially, or ||| at some later time too. I can't see why changing on the move would ||| affect the latter. || || Yesterday while trying to put it into low range, it wouldn't quite go || in and when I pulled away it jumped into neutral. I then pulled away || in high range and while driving slowly put it into low range, no || problems since then. Just have trouble getting it in initially. || || I am more worried about the slight knocking noise in normal driving, || 1st and 2nd gears. || || Worried this could be cluth or drivetrain related...

This may just be lack of use. My old 90 and my current Disco both did this, and I suspect that neither had been into low box before I owned them. A bit of use soon frees it up and lets you engage low first time. One word of warning - be sure you can engage low reliably (and that it will stay there) before relying on engine braking to get you down a steep hill. Popping back into neutral half-way down can be a brown-trouser experience.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| On 2006-12-13, Austin Shackles wrote: || ||| story of my life... || || Just have to fiddle with the knob more! || || Hehe.. || || No-one mention half-shafts. || || -- || Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!

Or thrust bearings.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In the interests of equal opportunities and other PC-ish nonsense, I suppose we must mention ring spreaders.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Is that similar to a tapered reamer?

Reply to
EMB

Not sure, I don't have anything to do with doughnut couplings!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:48:07 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

eh? when did that happen?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:48:33 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

I see a pattern here, BTW... you need a 1981 rangie, next, I assume?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:08:15 +0000, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

been there at least a month from my somewhat hazy memory.....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

|| On 2006-12-13, EMB wrote: || ||| Is that similar to a tapered reamer? || || Not sure, I don't have anything to do with doughnut couplings!

Not even slathered in Marmite?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:08:15 +0000, Austin Shackles || scribbled the following nonsense: || ||| On or around Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:48:07 -0000, "Richard Brookman" ||| enlightened us thusly: ||| |||| 2001 Disco II ES auto |||| 1971 S2a 88" petrol |||| 1991 Transit Camper ||| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ||| ||| eh? when did that happen? || || been there at least a month from my somewhat hazy memory.....

Yep, got it off ebay a couple of months ago. Home conversion by a kitchen fitter, so the inside is basic but quite well put together. A couple of minor issues sorted with a weekend's pottering, and a couple more that still annoy (clutch adjustment is poor, but can't find out why), but apart from that it's great. Di refused point blank to come to Snowdon in it, as it's not got any cold weather kit, but where I'm planning on heading to, it won't need it.

Reply to
Richard Brookman