L Series timing belt change

Hi all,

I'm a new member here so hello everyone.

I've recently bought a 99 Freelander TDi (l-series) and love it. However the lady I bought it off does not think that her (deceased) husband did the timing belt and the car now has 56K miles on it.

I have the rave CD and it suggests that the job requires both drive shafts to be removed, engine mounts etc so the engine can be slid to the side to access the timing belt covers.

Does anyone know if the job can be done without all this removal as I want to do it myself shortly but dont want the job to take too long!

The reason I ask is a guy on eBay would do it as a mobile service for =A3150 inclusing supply of the belts but unfortunately I do not live in his catchment area. He is surely not doing all this for =A3150 if he has to remove driveshafts etc?

Thanks for any advice

James

Reply to
roadnutter

It can be done be jacking up and (re)moving the suspesnion. Whatever way you do it, its a complete pain! And mind them fingers!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In message , beamendsltd writes

I second that.

I have done it without touching the suspension at all but it was very tight.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your help...what was the hardest part to do without touching the suspension?

James

Reply to
roadnutter

In message , roadnutter writes

Just getting to the belt because of the lack of space.

You will need to make a tool to withdraw the tensioner too

Reply to
Marc Draper