Land Rover 90 electric window upgrade

For a year now I have had a universal electric window kit fitted on my Land Rover 90 with early type lift handle doors, the motors aren't really up to the job and struggle quite a bit and are very slow. I have been looking into the Wolf Elec

kit but theyclaim it only works with Defenders after 1989 (which as far as I can seecoincides with no part number changes for the window regulator).Looking at my parts book it seems that the window regulator on lift up &push button door vehicles is the same through until 1993 when the metalchannel on the bottom of the window glass was replaced with two plasticclips and the two rollers on the scissor mechanism replaced with two shortrods which pass through these clips, all door mountings are the same as faras I can see? The 2002 onward county defenders supplied with electric windows as standard use a regulator (CUH000080 (LH) & CUH000090 (RH)). These regulators are only £62 each (including motor, somehow the same price as manual assembly?) and the plastic clips (ALR 6219) are only about a quid each. Is there any reason why these regulators shouldn't fit my vehicle and has anyone on the group tried it? do the new windows opperate quite quickly?

TIA

Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

On or around Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:38:55 +0100, "Fergus Kendall" enlightened us thusly:

If you're prepared to engage in surgery on the door, I imagine any window regulator can be made to fit. I still have winding ones on mine, though an electric one on the passenger side would come in handy sometimes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Fergus Hi,

The newer type doors (the ones used on 2002 onward Defenders) need a metallic bracket to be welded on their frame so as to accomodate the older type manual window winders.

But as far as I know here in Greece electric window kits are fitted all the time on older Defenders (most of them are 1989 up to 1991 model year ones) without a problem either on the winder mechanism or the motor.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos