land rover gearing

Fitted a tachometer into the 110 yesterday (had one in the rangie I'm breaking, and a convenient 52mm hole in the standard 110 dash), and was busy thinking it was underreading. Then I did the maths and it turns out the thing is geared tons higher than I expected. 24mph per 1000rpm in top going by my maths, so it looks like the tacho is reading about right... The more interesting point is that either my engine doesn't rev very well or I'm a big girl cos at the speed where I think I'm revving the nuts off it, it's only doing about 4000rpm. Now I know they aren't a revvy engine, but I wasn't expecting it to be -that- low, especially when people like RPi are making comments about their cams with "all this without ever passing 4800rpm" in them, which make it sound like 4800rpm is low...

the comment about the 270/110 cam, which is I think the one going in my new engine). Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

It would help if you mentioned what engine you have, but I would comment that all the engines fitted to 110s (3.5V8, 2.5petrol, 2.5NA, 2.5Turbo,

200Tdi, 300Tdi, Td5, 4BD1, 4BD1T - have I missed any?) would find 4000rpm either close to or above their maximum rpm. All these engines are either relatively old basic designs or designed for durability and flexibility rather than BMEP. Consequently, the gearing is designed to suit. JD
Reply to
JD

Yep! - 2.25 Diesel & Petrol, and 6 Cyl BMW in South Africa. And, being pedantic, various V8's for US market "spercials"!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

It's a V8 (missed that out, oops). I realise it's not a high revving engine, but didn't realise it was to quite that extreme (especially given the comment quoted from the RPi website).

Not that it's an issue really, more of an observation...

Reply to
Paul Everett