Land Rover going Indian ?

Just heard that the Indian company Tata is talking about buying Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford !

See New York Times

Doesn't seem right to me ... not at all.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Pay attention at the back. This has been discussed here very very recently.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Has it ? All I could see was pages of garbage by some sort of spammer.

So I suppose all the Ta-Ta and old Tat jokes have already been done !!!

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Hmm, not sure ! Shall we start ? tatered ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

d-tata.html?hp

It's a rumour that has been going round for a long time.

And the NYT has, over the last few years, worked hard to get a reputation for poor-quality reporting.

So I don't see much significance in this latest report, barely even a confirmation that Tata are still interested, if they ever were.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Get yourself a decent news server and you won't see the spam(*). Google groups is a heap of crock, even the archive is much harder to use than it was.

(*) Well you might see one or three a week...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Really? I've seen it widely reported that Tata are the preferred bidder, and I'm sure I noticed yesterday that the Telegraph reported Ford were now committing to further talks with Tata re. buying Jag / LR.

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

In message , Matt M writes

In today's Guardian talks with TATA are continuing ,but no mention of the other two bidders, the inference being that TATA are indeed the preferred bidder.

So it's ta ta from me and ta ta from him, and ta ta Solihull

-- Ta ta hugh Reply to address is valid at the time of posting

Reply to
hugh

"hugh" wrote

The Beeb says so too:

Nicest pun I found was "Jaguar set for Indian takeout"

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Yours maybe, but not mine which is the best of British (Leyland) which explains a lot I suppose.

Actually Lambretta (once a part of the BL empire believe it or not) went Indian, Royal Enfield went Indian, Standard Vanguard went Indian. If the Indians started building proper series landies again I wouldn't mind.

Goodness gracious me.

Reply to
Larry

Hi,

i am the proud owner of Disco II, which i bought trusting to the standards a (real) british manufactorer will offer and execute to his customers ! After changings of the brand ( i.e. BMW, ... ) i am still a owner of a LandRover !!!! After 2 days testdriving a Disco III i never would buy one of this "High Tech" Cars ! Why ? : Probs with AWD, Computer, ... . I am driving a LandRover because the thing WORKS ! And i want ( need ) a car that works ! In my opinion, a LR III is a merchandising machine, but far away from a working vehicle ! So, hopefully, the "indian deal" will put things better !

Kind regards and a happy new year Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Swietli

Royal Enfield set-up their own factory in India back in the late 60's,=20 which remained in their ownership until RE were bought by Norton in the=20 early 70's. The Indian factory used to build bikes from complete=20 knocked-down kits sent out from the UK ~ I have one of the last batch of =

750cc Interceptors that Norton "intercepted" at Southampton docks the=20 day they bought RE. It's still in CKD state in the same packing case it=20 was when I paid =A350 for it in 1973 (or was it 74?)

Once the Indian factory ceased to get support from Norton they just=20 started building their own version of the 350cc Bullet, which has been=20 available in the UK for several years. Riding one is like stepping back=20 through time :-)

--=20 Regards

Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

> d-tata.html?hp

There'll be no more complaints about the help desk being in Delhi :-)

Reply to
SteveG

They also make a large number of clones of the old 1930s Lister single cylinder diesel (known generically as the Listeroids). Reading about them is scary - apparently they are made all over the show, and one account says all engines must always be stripped down to remove casting sand etc - if it has been run by the factory it is probably ruined. I was at least impressed that they could make the injectors (due to the fine machining tolerances), but it seems they are by Bosch.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Regards the listeroids, couldn't resist adding this link when I found it, the name of the engine make is brilliant. Why isn't this company taking over Land Rover !!!

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

They do a whole range of bikes, from the "classics" which use the same

350 and 500 engines as they did in the 50s, to "moderns" which have newer engines (and electric starts), and even a diesel (not available in the UK but I can buy one here in Switzerland*) that does ridiculous mpg.

Stuart

*Oh, I've moved from France, if anyone is remotely interested.
Reply to
Stuart Gray

On or around Sat, 05 Jan 2008 12:58:30 +0100, Stuart Gray enlightened us thusly:

Yeah, but the diesel enfield is totally horrible.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Probably, but I just wanted to point out that there is more to Enfield than the "original" Bullet.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I appreciate they now do a range of newer bikes too, Stuart, some of which are quite good .. but that diesel is awful.

So, you've moved from France .. where to?

Reply to
SteveG

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier statement.

Actually, just down from Montreux (On the Lake Geneva Shoreline), where I am now the Head of IT at a rather nice International Boarding School. It's great here - water, snow, mountains, just like Wales but with money. Ideal for Land-Rovers.

Which makes it a real pisser that my 110 is terminal, and I can't do anything with it until I get an expert witness for the court case against Willetts, to prove that it isn't a County (as advertised), and that I could reasonably think that it was fitted with a 2.5 diesel (as I communicated with the defendants, your Honour) rather than the 2.25 that it has (and which now has knackered piston rings, AFAICT).

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray