Land Rover - Jaguar : The fusion

As many will know, Land Rover and Jaguar are both currently the responsibility of Bob Dover, Chief Executive of both Marques.

What many will not know is that G-DE... (shhhh....), erm... 'the place' next door to the Heritage Motor Centre, are now entrusted with development of Jaguar together with Land Rover.

Bob (a very mild mannered and polite chap, whilst being astute and proactive in the extreme - for whom I have a great deal of respect in his choice of contractors, historical vehicles etc etc...) intends to retire next year.

His vision in developing both Marques has already shown dividends. There has been a change of culture to the extent where different 'shed' teams (unfortunate phrase really) are encouraged to talk to each other about development issues and this is then fed back to designers.

The outcome will either be a 4x4 1 tonne gun tractor which will top

220mph - or a sluggish, rusting luxury executive sports saloon which will never be stolen as it'll lead police directly to the thieves location by the trail of oil from the leaking engine, gearbox and axles...

Have a good retirement Bob :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

As long as the guys who do the pricing don't get there heads together otherwise It'll be £110 for a front hose on a Series IIa as well...

H'mmmmmm, interesting! "Darling, Martyn said.......jaguar engine.....101...... AHHHH oh ouch NOOOO!!!.... not the mole grips again they really play havoc on the nuts!!!"

Ditto... any retirement has to be a good'un!

Lee D with a foot in both camps at the same time.

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

Myself I'd love to fit a Rolls Royce 6.75 V8 twin turbo to a 101. Should be good for 130mph with the right gearing.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

It's won't fit. The chassis rails are too narrow, the gearbox would take up half of the rear space - you'd have to cut 18 inches out of the rear floor, the engine is too high, you'd lose the bulkhead, the engine cover would be about 14 inches higher the rad housing isn't big enough... shall I go on?

Halfshafts like rubber bands, props not much better, no UJ resillience, engine mountings impossible, no way to get the gear shift forward so would have to be an auto, no adequate ambient engine ventilation, no way to get the exhaust manifolds in...

Even Lee couldn't do it...

Feck the gearing... I'll lend you my parachute...

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 23:19:15 +0100, Mother made me spill my meths by writing:

For sale, Parachute - Unused, small stain.

Is there room for a Martin Baker in a 101?

Reply to
Wayne Davies

La la la la...la la la .... I'm not listening... la la LA la LA LA LAAAAAA!!!!

Reply to
Lee_D

AND WHERE ARE ALL THE FISH?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Small stain???

Kin eck, an ejector seat would be a good idea at times...

Why is it that whenever I'm asking for directions and she's reading the map, and we get totally and utterly lost that we eventually end up pulling over, she jumps out and screams SO WHERE THE HELL ARE WE NOW?

(Charlottes version)

Why is it that whenever I'm asking for directions and he's reading the map, and we get totally and utterly lost that we eventually end up pulling over, he jumps out and screams SO WHERE THE HELL ARE WE NOW?

STOP THAT!

too silly... Hmmmmmmmm........

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

So next time I'm flat-out on the motorbike and I get passed by a 101 with its front wheels in the air I'll know he's done it.

Just out of interest - what's the smallest engine put into a 101?

Reply to
PDannyD

There's a few 2.5 turbodiesels out there...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On or around 4/10/03 11:19 pm, Mother using , in article ID snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, scribbled:

Reply to
Llandrovers

In my mind, when the 101 gets up to 130mph, theres a loud bang, and the 101 dissapears, leaving a set of burning tire tracks on the road...

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yeah Man! That's the future, or the past, erm... dunno....

What year is it???

Luv and Peas

Marti

Reply to
Mother

Since a very bad Motorcycle RTA 20 odd years ago where I nearly lost my right eye, and my life. Cost a fortune to fix and took some years.

You may recognise from recent postings, a little 'clue' (no, _you_ may not). Oh well... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Anything else you want to ask? having now found the holy grail? - or was it a honeypot? or a playpen? Buggered if I can remember :-)

Oops... Clumbsy me..... Thanks for the advert :-)

Reply to
Mother

"Tom >

it's only 88 mph, but that would be a huge feat in itself. plenty of room for the flux-capacitor aswell.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

I have a vision, it is a non-doubting Martyn. The only thing you have mention that is insurmountable is the chassis rails. And I'm sure that could be overcome, hasn't someone fitted a GMC 6litre V8 into a 101? As for the gearbox, the RR Hydromatic box is actually shorter than a

101 gearbox anyway. The rest of your supposed "problems" are nothing more than small adjustments really.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Is there? I know they put a IOE 6-pot in one of the prototypes, which would probably have been the 3.0 version, not the 2.6, not sure if they ever tried it with a 2.25. The vehicle wouldn't have been viable if Rover hadn't come up with the V8 at about the same time.

The SIIa Forward control came with a 2.25 petrol if you wanted it. Not that the thing went anywhere with a 2.6 in it. It beats me why LR never offered the 3.0IOE as a standard engine. I'd love one in my SIII

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I believe there is a chronic shortage of servicable flux-capacitors, the US Army won't let them into general circulation.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Actually what worries me with Ford owning Land Rover is that they will simply aquire all the spares bury them in a pit and pour concrete in so that we all have to buy new landies.

When I drove Fords it was becoming increasingly difficult to get back catalogue items.

Reply to
Larry

When the 101 replacement was being tendered, Land Rover's offering was a 'refit' of the existing fleet, including (amongst other things) 300 TDi engine transplants.

Tiggur is a 200 TDi (I think) and 'Scott and Kate' have a 300TDi (see

Anyone done a 2.0 MPi (shudder)?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs