land rover owner test

I was contemplating, while giving the disco it's monthly blast with the pressure washer, one of those mutliple-choice tests to establish whether you are, by nature, a LR owner...

some sample questions follow, feel free to add ones. If we get it sorted, we can put it on the web somewhere.

1: Your vehicle has one or more oil leaks. do you: a) Take it to the dealer to repair it. b) Attempt to repair it yourself. c) Decide that it's useful protection for the chassis and simply top up the oil levels. d) As above but put a pan under where you park, to catch the oil so you can use it to paint the fence.

2: Your vehicle *doesn't* leak any oil at all. do you: a) Check the oil in case it's low. b) Panic - the oil must have run out. c) Feel smug that your repair has worked. d) Regard it as normal and proper behaviour.

3: How often do you wash your vehicle? a) Once a week whether it's dirty or not. b) More than once a week. c) Don't understand the question / never. d) When the weight of accumulated mud starts to affect the performance. e) When it's looking especially dirty.

4: You're driving along and your vehicle starts to make an odd noise. Do you: a) Stop immediately and phone the AA or RAC or equivalent. b) Start to accelerate, decelerate, swerve etc. in order to find try to see what conditions make the noise. c) Not notice, 'cos you have the 500W stereo belting out thumpy-thumpy music at 120dB. d) Stop, crawl underneath the vehicle and have someone rock it to see if you can spot what's loose. e) Ignore it, if something's about to fall off, then you'll find out what it is when it does so. f) b, d, and e in turn.

I suggest the following scoring:

1: a)1 b)2 c)3 d)4 2: a)3 b)4 c)2 d)1 3: a)2 b)1 c)5 d)4 e)3 4: a)2 b)3 c)1 d)4 e)4 f)5

more suggestions welcome, along with scoring, or comments.

ideally, we could get it to decide which LR product you should be driving as well :-)

I scored 14 from those 4 - scores will go from 4 to 18.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles vaguely muttered something like ...

e) Catch the oil to re-use it ... ;)

e) Add a can full anyway, it can't hurt, can it ?

f) When school ask me to. (I'm a caretaker and use the school car-park .. ;)

f) ignore it whatever .. I have a wife and kids to push it if it breaks, and a 'mate with a trailer' if it breaks and we need to go uphill.

I scored 15 .. '97 Discovery 3 door, no electric windows, sunroofs, mirrors etc etc .. as basic as a Disco gets, with aftermarket Alloy wheels and 31" BFG AT's. Local LR place didn't know the mirrors could be got without even the internal adjuster knob thingy .. ;) It's as close as we could get, but suitable for motorways and towing quickly, to our old S3, whilst adding some comfort, like a decent (Sony) CD Player .. ;) After a year with it (After having an S3 and a company car Renault Laguna) I find I actually miss the electric windows and a cruise control. I think it's our ideal vehicle.

Reply to
Paul - xxx
5: The Central locking has packed up on your Land Rover. Do you.

a) Park it somewhere secure and keep an eye on it. b) Rush to the dealer and get it sorted asap. c) Attampt to repair it yourself, in the dark, when its raining, late at night. d) Leave it where it is, with the transfer box in nutral. e) As C & D and take the fuse out to the fuel pump.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Person walks up and comments on your Jeep, do you;

a) resist the urge to scream and commit an offence b) agree that "yes it will go off road and no you are not one of those inconsiderate school run jerks" c) let him know that really Jeep stands for " just enough engine parts" d) ignore him, in the knowledge that as a one time friend he is trying to wind you up..

Reply to
Hirsty's

"Mark Solesbury" wrote in news:cn2lbo$9li$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com:

What's central locking? And how many points do I get for asking?

(I got 45 on the others).

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

So Austin Shackles was, like

I got 14 as well. Ideally you need an "interpretation" panel - you know:

Score: Below 6 - just get a Toymota and an AA subscription and leave us alone

7-10 - Your hands are too clean - go to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect that Scorpion Racing 2" lift kit 11-15 - You are a Haynes Manuals Valued Customer 16-17 - You need to get out more 18 - RESPECT.
Reply to
Richard Brookman
6) The first snowfall of the winter is underway. Do you:

a) carry on regardless because you have a 4x4 so can never get stuck. b) Twiddle your terrain knob to snow, then as per a). c) Stare glumly at the extra levers near the gear selector and wish you knew what they did. d) Whoop with glee and go looking for the snowiest local roads to rescue people from. e) Hibernate.

Answers

a) You have a Rav4 b) You are Jeremy Clarkson (did anyone see the new Disco on the telly last week?) c) You are a woman d) Congratulation, top beardy, real ale swilling Land Rover bloke. e) You are a squirrel

Reply to
rads

On or around Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:25:47 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

I was rather hoping for some more questions first. There are a few good uns cropping up.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

answer d for me (been there done that) except I'm clean shaven and not keen on real ale

Reply to
George Spigot

C, only a Freelander onwer would take it to the main dealer. But then there not *real* land rover owners are they.

A, as it is most odd for a S1, S2 or S3 not to leak somewhere, lol :)

C, again only Freelander owners clean thier Land Rovers, because they can get relly muddy picking the kids up from school or in the car park of Tesco.

In a S1, S2 or S3, you hear odd noises all the time, thats if you can hear anything.

Didn't work out my score, it's maths, don't like maths. But as you can guess I am a *real* LRO, I got a proper S3, not some pansy Freelander. Why LR made that I'll never know.

Reply to
8unker

No, I think we all missed it. What was it again? ;-)

Reply to
Torak

I will never forget my wife after her first tour through the woods with her defender, pointing at the dirty car and saying "a land rover has to look like _this_!". And a few days later, when it started raining, she said "oh shit, its getting clean again" :))

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

e) exolain that "it's not a jeep, it's a Land Rover", whilst grinning like an idiot....

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I score 17, now what ought I to be driving ?

Reply to
Larry

Err what central locking ?????

Reply to