Land Rover Shows - opinions please

Ok then people, having read the thread enthusing about Billing ( :-) ) I have a serious question: why do people go to Land Rover shows? You've criticised Billing but what makes a good show *for you*? Any suggestions in order of importance (most important first) please eg

1) Get sloshed 2) Talk cobblers about Series 1 steering boxes for hours over a BBQ 3) Decent off road course to break the motor on 4 Cheap place to camp for the weekend away from the missus 5) Lots of scrap stuff on stalls that make you look intelligent when you correctly identify a broken 1937,semi-elliptical, shimmy-shaft gangle-pin.

Ok, so maybe a bit more serious than that ... Are the trade stands important? The off-road course? The atmosphere? Good organisation?

Tell me, I'm listening.

Reply to
AJG

A 1937 semi eliptical shimmy shaft gangle pin is just the thing for the dyslexic owner of a 1973 motor with combobulated widgets.

Reply to
Larry

Of course, any bloody fool knows THAT.

Steve

Reply to
steve

However, I need two!

Reply to
GbH

Whitworth or BA ( I aint going in no helicopter fool! )? Derek keeper of the BA archive

Reply to
Derek

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:14:19 +0100, AJG scribbled the following nonsense:

All in same order of importance Good organisation Clean site and facilities Good friends Good food Good beer to enjoy with food and friends Field Cinema Absence of chavs, louts, tealeaves and other general scum

Low on the list of importance Absence of rivet counters, they're annoying, but fun to wind up!!!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Atmosphere, the people make it, if it's too commerical it's too in yer face for a good atmosphere. I guess there needs to be a fine balance between social function and selling stuff. If it gets too much along the lines of selling stuff it'll end up like the Donnington trade event, very impersonal.

Having been in to VW's in a big way and spent a good few years doing the VW scene I no longer wish to live in a canvas field with interwoven guy ropes that you can't escape from till the mad dash for the gate disperses on Sunday.

Lee_D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:14:19 +0100, AJG enlightened us thusly:

Up to a point. only rates about 5 with me.

definitely. and all sorts of other cobblers - mind you, the getting sloshed comes in at this stage too. this bit is at least 2 on my list.

not very important to me.

sadly, not cheap.

Oh yes... and the ability to pick up second-hand 1937 etc. for to put on the motor, and also other hard-to-find parts.

Trade stands are good - always worth a look at the latest gadgets and sometimes I buy some - there's often a show discount which saves a few pennies.

Another point you missed: displays of awsome competence by the skilled types such as LR's own or the camel owners club, on obstacle courses and the like. Silly obstacle course at Malvern last year was a hoot - especially Dave French with the 6x6 trying to break it, and me and Simon I. in my series. I've sorted the door tops so they can be unbolted now, might make it easier this year if I do it again.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:36:21 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

If I unrot that address, does that reach you? If not, please forward email address that works, ideally removing the NOSPAM bit from mine :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Lrf, vg qbrf.

Reply to
Mother

Gawd only knows why...

I go to meet people, maybe eat with them, generally drink with them, mandatory talk complete bollocks about landie bits I've never heard of with them, and have a good mulch out. I've seen more landies than I could ever remember - some are worth it, some are just 'more landies'.

I've sort of had my fill of 'club stands' and the politics that go with them, which is why I'm more up for the totally unofficial gatherings. I'll probably 'do' some shows in the future, but only for the odd bit of retail therapy on top of meeting people who I have time for and look forward to meeting.

That said, shows like the LRO do at Malvern (based upon last year) were a true joy in every sense. Everything was clean, and cleaned regularly. There were no anti-socials pissing everyone off, no drunk drivers, and most importantly, LRO seemed to have gone back 10 odd years and tried to make a 'show' something more than just picking your pocket at every possible opportunity - and event, for 'us'.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:01:22 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

So, are you doing Malvern, and if so where do you reckon on being?

I suppose we could all take over GLASS's bit :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:30:16 +0100, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

yes

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:27:03 +0100, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

Yes, was interesting trying to squeeze through those door tops.....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:58:24 +0100, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

sounds like a plan to me....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Pics here:

Mother

Maybe look at something of a mix?

Like I said, I'm not in a position to give any guarantees about what I may be able to offer in terms of tickets etc., but I'm sure with a little collective planning we can mix-n-merge stuff.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:29:13 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

d'you think he's coming back for a rematch? and will they make the course bigger?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:35:44 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

Mind you, if it's anything like last year there was no shortage of space.

I'll have to get an order off to Beamends Richard for bits of Series III. Edward II is languishing in the front drive with a broken chassis and no MOT...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Do you think he's coming back?

Reply to