Land Rover wheel sizes

Can anyone help with this? I'm trying to replace steel wheel(s) on a boat trailer, and need to know if, for example, 110 wheels will fit.

The trailer wheels have195/75 R 16C 107/105R markings on the tyres, the wheel has a 4 1/2" centre hole, but 4" would fit. The 5 stud holes are 4" between centres, and laying a straightedge rim to rim and measuring from it to the face on the back of the wheel that seats on the hub is 4 5/8". The width of the wheel rim to rim is about 6

3/8" and the O/D across the rim is 17 1/2".

So is it likely that wheels from a 110 or 90 with 205/80 R 16 tyres would be close enough. If I can get just the wheels, would my (good)

195/75 tubed tyres fit? I am told my present wheels have the larger diameter valve hole.

I've never really thought about things like offsets before. The problem is quite urgent because the trailer is big and jacked up on someone else's path. I have tried all the local breakers, so I'm now trawling ebay etc.

Reply to
Bill

In message , Bill writes

I'll offer what help I can. I think LR website has a good explanation of all the letters and symbols on tyres. The R16 bit means its a radial tyre to fit a 16" diameter wheel so that's a good start. IIRC when the 90 as fitted with 205s it was on 15" wheels BIMBW. 110s have always had 16" wheels. If the tyres on the wheels say R16 the wheels are 16" Standard Defender steel wheels are 6" wide and alloys 7" My stud holes are just under 4" apart, about 3 7/8 Can't easily get at the bore on my alloys just now. Perhaps someone else can help with that According to my calculations a 195x75 is a bit narrower than a 205/80 but not too much.

HTH

Reply to
bert

Have look around the inside of wheel, there ought to be a set of markings that describe the dia/width/offset and flange shape. See if you can match that to what a LR wheel should be.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The trouble is that a previous owner has painted the inside and outside of the wheel with thick paint, and, although I hadn't noticed it before, there is some evidence of welding on this wheel under the paint.

I might try to find some modern paint remover that works.

Reply to
Bill

In message , bert writes

I have measured the stud spacing again and think it might be a bit under

4", in which case it probably matches a 110 wheel. Today's bid today on ebay wasn't high enough, so there is less pressure now that I don't have to decide by a certain time.

I found a chart which says that all 110's and 90's had the same size wheels, and another that said that the size was

16" Rim, 5 studs, stud spacing 97.04mm and PCD 165.1mm (6½")

If a 110 wheel will go over the studs, I'll then need to somehow get one to offer up and see how the offset looks and also if the tyre height fits under the "mudguard". It looks to me as if a 205/80 tyre is 164mm high but the 195/75 ones are 146.25 . That's 1.8cm difference and, of course, I'm now relying on guesswork to know how much clearance is reduced when the boat is on the trailer and goes over a bump. Boat + trailer is, we think, just over 3 tons, so there's also the load rating

The local ATS haven't been much help after saying they wouldn't fit a new inner tube, but there are independent tyre suppliers locally who might be more use. The local Land Rover breakers seem to all be on summer breaks judging by the way they don't answer their phones, and I was very unimpressed by the Welsh breaker s who said yes we have 2 Land Rovers and wheels, but after navigating there said "who told you that?".

Memo to self: Remember in future that Garmin has Wales down as a separate country so you won't have to revert to the old Magellan with its out of date maps.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Reply to
Bill

Some random jottings ....

Many large trailers at one time used LR wheels as they matched the wheels on farmers' LRs.

Your existing tyres are intended for a 16" rim. I'm not aware of LR using anything other than 16" rims for Defender and earlier, RRC and Disco 1.

Your 195/75R16C tyre has a higher load index (107/105) than a

205(/80)R16 which is usually 99 or 104 for the reinforced ones. The 104 rating seems most common these days.

If the wheels have the larger holes for the larger valve body of the existing tubes you need to be looking at older rims to get that large hole. You can get a spacer ring to use small diameter valve bodies (common today) into large hole rims. It doesn't work the other way!

6 3/8" across the rim flanges suggests that it's a 5.5" rim. This was the common rim for 7.50x16 tyres on LR 88 and 109, 90 and 110. Most, if not too recent, are likely to have the large valve body hole. They were very common.

Keep your existing tyres if OK. I'm pretty certain that they'll fit the

5.5" rim fine if they are OK on your existing rim. The 6.0" rim from the later Defender may not suit your existing tyre so well.

3 7/8" between stud centres (not the usual way of measuring this feature, but the easiest) matches the afore-mentioned LR models with

9/16" BSF or M16 studs. Re-check this figure - I suspect that yours are not 4". You didn't mention your stud size but I feel sure that you'll match this also.

The hub support hole on these LR rims is about 4 1/2".

Your rim offset works out at around 1 7/16" (36.5mm). The 5.5" rim used by LR had several offsets during its life. They were about this dimension initially reducing to 33mm on Defender.

I'm pretty sure that you've got LR 5.5" rims. Any standard LR wheel with

7.50x16 tyres should have them. Choose one with the large valve hole if you want to re-use your existing tubes.

If you're really pushed to get this moved and struggle to find these rims, Disco 1 rims may be more easily obtained. They are 6.0", though, and look different. See comment above.

If you tell us where you are located someone may have some/know someone who has.

Reply to
Dougal

I have a set of 5 Avon Ranger's (tubed) on 16" standard 109/110 rims, dry stored in my garage (north bucks UK) that could be available for a reasonable fee. I've not used them in years, and I'd like to recover the space.

Let me know via the list.

Dave B.

Reply to
Dave Baxter

Sorry, forgot to say they are 750/16 size.

Dave B.

Reply to
Dave Baxter

In message , Dave Baxter writes

Thanks, Dave, and thanks to everyone else for the really helpful replies. I think I have got the wheel I need and a spare. I'm on Wirral.

I am told this is a "short wheelbase wheel" and that the original was most likely off a "Rice" horse trailer because it had the nipples for a hubcap. The "outside" looks identical to the original, and fits on the hub, but it measures 6 1/2" rim to rim width, whereas I measured the original at

6 3/8th. However, my original measurements may be a bit suspect.

I think the offset will give enough clearance when we get the tyre on, but I'll do the wire brushing and painting first.

I've built up a page of notes about wheels here. As is obvious, I didn't know how much I didn't know.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Bill

A result by the sound of it. Well done!

Rice trailer wheel similarity with LR makes sense.

So as to tidy up the loose ends for our curiosity, what is the measurement between the flanges of the rims? Your 'over the flanges'(rim to rim) dimension (6 3/8", 6 1/2") that you have used is largely irrelevant as the extremities rust away/ get worn. Between the flanges is the 5.5" dimension we've been discussing - or whatever it actually is.

'Short wheelbase wheel' is also liable to mislead as long wheelbase rims were used on the short wheelbase when 7.50x16 tyres were used. The truly short wheelbase rim (used with 6.00x16 tyres) was a 5.0" rim IIRC and

4.5" if a split rim.

And finally I found this, giving rim preferences for your 195/75 tyre.

Dougal

If I've measured the right thing, between the insides of the rim where the two edges of the tyre base press, on the "Short wheelbase wheel", the measurement is 5.0" , so it sounds like a true short wheelbase rim. It is 6.5" outside rim to rim. I wish I knew the correct names for all the bits!

The place I got them from had 2 short wheelbase Land Rovers of mature age, fitted with various wheels which Alfie, the garage owner, pointed out to me as having different profiles, some being "short wheelbase" rims, others "long wheelbase".

I'm currently painting the first new wheel prior to getting my 195/75 tyre off the old broken rim and onto it. When the tyre is off the old Rice rim, I'll measure that and report back here.

That Michelin chart looks very useful. I've bookmarked it.

Reply to
Bill

That's how to do it! or

Add this to your list of useful information - from the Association of European Wheel Manufacturers:

Dougal

Thanks for all the help.

I now have taken measurements on both wheels with the tyre off.

The SWB wheel is 6.5" wide outside rim to rim, and 5.00" where the tyre seats. From the line of the inside rim to the hub attachment face is

5.00".

The "Rice" wheel is 6.25" rim to rim and 5.00" where the tyre seats. From the line of the inside rim to the hub attachment face is 4.75".

I believe the 1/4" different offset will be OK. If the wheel is too close to the trailer, it is just a case of grinding away some non-structural steel plate.

There are markings in the centre of the "Rice" wheel, now visible with no tyre. They read RSM 104 5.00 F x 16 D Made in England N

I am embarrassed by the inaccuracy of previous measurements.

The local ATS has installed the old inner tube from the SWB wheel because the tubes they ordered were

1st. Wrong valve size 2nd. Damaged in transit to them

Intermission where the wheel broke and I started asking about sizes here.

3rd. Damaged by "the lad" who they had appointed to fit. He trapped it.

But it was all done free of charge and they sang a fanfare as he rolled it to me.

I suppose I should inspect the other 3 wheels now.

Reply to
Bill

The offset is closer than you think: LR wheel: 5 - (0.5 x 6.5) = 5 - 3.25 = 1.75" Rice wheel: 4.75 - (0.5 x 6.25) = 4.75 - 3.125 = 1.625"

The rims are both 5.00F x16.

You're definitely on the home run.

Reply to
Dougal