Land Rover World Show @ Eastnor.

Seemed to be some traders missing this year and a lot more non land rover vehicles. Bit disappointed in comparison to last year. Got a few useful bits, but who wants to go and look at toyota hi-luxes and nissan whatevers? What strings were pulled to allow them on the hallowed turf?

M.

Reply to
McBad

On or around Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:19:53 +0100, "McBad" enlightened us thusly:

4x4 mag is owned by the same publishers. Actually, I thought it was quite good having the others, gave one something to sneer and laugh at.

Sitting beside the motor on Saturday morning, early (Anchor supplies' bloke was intent on stacking ammo boxes noisly at 06:30) drinking coffee and eating a bacon butty, it was quite amusing trying to identify vehicles arriving by their exhaust notes.

pretty good show, despite the other marques, I thought, although I admit to not having previous experience to compare with. Damned good film on the Grumble cinema on sat evening, "Touching the Void". Worth seeing if you haven't.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hello, Austin!

Nice to finally meet you :-)

All I can say about the show ... ?

cFustomers.

Yup. That's right ... there is no F in customers .... just like at the show :(

Reply to
Neffalump

Just to bloody hot to tramp around mate. Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

On or around Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:21:18 +0000 (UTC), "Neffalump" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, I thought there were relatively few punters about, but then I don't have a reference value for previous shows or years.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A veritable a.f.l meet at last. My count so far:

Austin Shackles Steve and Lizzie Taylor Neil 'Neflump' Graham Gleed Simon Isaacs David French Unknown chap who admitted to lurking as he reckoned he never had anything to say (odd, doesn't stop the rest of us!). & Me :-)

The show was rather flat though, maybe the heat, maybe other factors. I reckon there's just too many shows now and people are being overly selective - plus there's not as much disposable cash floating around at present. I still like the Eastnor show though, best venue going IMO.

Having long since lost the novelty of 'oh look, another Land Rover' I didn't mind the other Marques being there really, though it is a pain getting the Toyotas out of the tyre tread.

Meeting up with old and new faces, having a drink, getting sunburnt... all far better than just talking the same old crap about leaking-landies.

Now, the poor bloke (big bast*rd though he was) in the go-cart buggy thing on Saturday night nearly had a _very_ bad show... ;-)

Reply to
Mother

We didn't see his trousers when he got out though.#

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

On or around Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:22:05 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

one of the highlights, that was. I could see the expression of panic on his physog from the 20-odd yards away where I was observing from...

For them as weren't there - this lot were whizzing around with a go-kart-stylee thing (one of them ones on quad-bike tyres) and not only was this irritating it was potentially dangerous.

Martyn (for it was he) went and politely asked him to stop. Sadly (for the bloke, and amusingly for the rest of us) he neglected to put down the axe he was carrying before doing so.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:23:58 +0100, steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

I did remark at one point that I wondered if he had a change of underwear with him.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Personally i think the heat put alot of people off. I have never been so hot/sunburnt in my life!. Seemed to be less traders than last year though. What knobbed me off than anything was the people they had on the gates, half of them couldn't even speak English. I asked one where to buy the off road tickets from, got the reply "No speakee English" great me thinks..........

Anyway bought off road ticket, had the RRC checked for loose bits, secure battery and whether it was taxed and headed off into the woods. Had just turned right off main road, driven up track to house and turned sharp right. As i turned and drove over cattle grid, my path was blocked by a Ford Galaxy. Passenger runs up to me and asks 'is this the way to the show, we've been following the signs'. I pointed out that he was about to take his Galaxy off road and maybe a good idea to turn round and go back to the main road!!. Nice route through the woods again, plenty of bangs and crashs coming from underneath, good job i only did the intermediate course. Only thing i bought was a new front number plate to replace the one i smashed somewhere offroad. Highlight for me was seeing a Genuine Ex Brixmis G wagon (you can all stop laughing now!!). Any one know if the bloke on the Ex military LR stand got his 110 gearbox fixed??.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

Any one know if the bloke on the Ex

The answer to that question is unfortanatly no, the gearbox that was purchased only had two setting, neutral and fifth this was discovered about

4pm so by that time it was throw the towel in and get a recovery truck out. As for

Well that was me in what was probably the heaviest ser3 109 there. It was nice to finally get a look at the purple 101 and I did like the radio bodied 101 on the stand as well

Reply to
piglet

...and being Martyn, who does not do things by halves, it was not a small axe....

Lizzy

Reply to
steve Taylor

Ditto!!

Reply to
Graham G

Didn't have a problem with the other marques, either, indeed as you rightly point out, it is nice to have something other than solihulls finest to look round. All except those blasted "bling bling" H2s that kept driving round. They were getting irritating.

How is the burn, oh lobster one?

Had a brill time, have to say. You all made me very welcome again and have to say had one of the best weekends in a long long time. Cheers.

Laugh, I almost cried! I think he was almost in tears. Very funny. Hat off to you (101 cap anyone).

Reply to
Graham G

I could have strangled the bugger!! Had only been asleep for about four hours!

Here here!!

Reply to
Graham G

Don't talk to me about Radio bodies!! I have been offered one, and I haven't slept since!! Will have to go and have a look, but that is usually fatal! Might be forced to sell the Gs to pay for it, which I really didn't want to do.

Reply to
Graham G

and to my colour blind eyes, the axe did appear to be purple.....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

SWMBO says "OI!!!! What about me???" But then I explined that she doesn't post here.....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs