Land Rovers, Byways and Snow

Ive love my landrover!!

I must have driven 50 miles today, for no other reason than i enjoy it.

What really pissed me off, and made me quite angry was the last 2.

Some bastard has dumped it there. I had a little look for any visible identification, but found nothing.

What annoys me is that the lane is closed for the winter to prevent damage, but if it was open this would not happen as it is used reguarly.

I was tempted to move it, but i didnt have anywhere to move it to.

Who can i notify that it is there? Its in such a place that it will only be noticed when the lane is open again, and by then it will probably have grown considerably....

Any ideas?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

"Mark Solesbury" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Nice pics. I only had do do 10 miles in it today but the travails of others will keep me smiling for weeks :))

For the rubbish, first stop is the local council - if there's anything 'nasty' in it you could also try the Environment Agency. Trouble now is that thanks to thoughtless (as in no-brains) legislation if it's on privately owned land, the landowner will get hammered to clear it up.

Reply to
David Roberts

On or around Thu, 08 Feb 2007 19:39:47 +0000, Mark Solesbury enlightened us thusly:

I went out for a bit of a looksee in Edward. Rangemasters crap in snow...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Local council refuse department.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Mark Solesbury" wrote

I got called upon to take a neighbours child to school today, good excuse to go play in the snow. What surprised me was the number of drivers that hadn't got a clue, brakes full on and sliding into the curbs. One Focus driver must have badly damaged a wheel if not his tracking he hit the high curb so hard, and he was the only vehicle on his side of the road so why he was braking so hard goodness knows. Amazing though how many drivers go out of there way to avoid a confrontation with a 90. :-)

With most of it now water and a frost forecast tonight I think I might stay in tomorrow morning.

BTW did anyone else see that lady with a 4x4 saying on the 10 o'clock news she was stuck in her driveway, because of a few inches of snow? !!!

Reply to
Bob Hobden

On or around Thu, 8 Feb 2007 23:02:02 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

I went out this morning, frozen snow and slush everywhere, and the tranny goes on it better than Edward II, notwithstanding 2WD. I suspect the tyres just don't suit snow and ice.

paffetick.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In the past I've contacted the local rights-of-way officer in the council, they then take a map reference and pass it on to the relevant people.

Unfortunately last time I did it, the chap who was assigned to pick it up was a total twerp, he phoned me to ask where it was, which is hard to explain due to lack of landmarks. I said I'd given the RoW officer an OSGB grid ref which she'd asked for, he then got arsey with me and asked me if I wanted the rubbish moved or not, 'cos if I didn't act sensible he was off home! I reminded him who out of us two picked up rubbish for a living and left it, it had been moved by the next time I went by a few weeks later.

About a month after that, a gippo camp moved into the field next to the lane and dug the lane up to empty their caravan toilets into. I hope the chap assigned to clear that one up was the same chap I dealt with..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Mark

I see from photo DSCF0403 in your gallery that you have had the rear wing off your Range Rover. I have to do the same to mine (on the O/S). Any tips? Pitfalls to watch for?

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

The fuel filler goes through the OS (RH) one. Getting the hoses disconnected may be a struggle. Depending on why you think that you need to remove it, it may be possible to leave the front part floating (not disturbing the filler). There's probably a way of getting the metal filler tube out of the rubber mount at the outer end - I never found it. You can unbolt the steel rear quarter section of the wing.

The screws at the front of the top row for the front section are partially blocked by the latches for the rear seat. The screws that hold the latches are too long and may be well corroded at the outer end making removal without screw breakage frequently impossible. Be prepared for rectification work.

Reply to
Dougal

Thanks Dougal

The wing has to come off so that I can replace the drain hose between the bottom of the evaporation tank and the top of the filler neck.

When I was siphoning fuel out of my other RR I discovered the anti-siphon trap in the filler neck :-( but found that by unbolting the filler neck from the wing I could separate the filler neck from the rubber hose into the tank. Thus I don't think I need to disconnect the filler neck from the filler hose - just removing the three bolts which hold the neck to the wing will allow the wing to lift off the filler neck.

I have just broken the two bolts which hold the front lower edge of the wing to the D post :-)

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard

That was a fair while ago to be honest, i cant really remember.

I had to remove it to get at the rust on the door pillar. I think the biggest problem was that someone had crimped all the cables to the rear light cluster, and it took me ages to work out which went where..

Other than that i think it was an OK job.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Thanks Mark

Richard