Landies on the road statistics

I have seen several places claim that something like 70% of all series Landrovers (90% of 101s ??) are still on the road. Is that purely anecdotal, or is there some official stats to back it up ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Its true. And the other 30% made it home ;o)

Reply to
Nullified

I would guess it is a moving statistic, in that if it is true, as the older ones get scrapped the proportion stays the same because of the longevity of the newer ones, that given the greater number of them manufactured it keeps things the same, though I am no mathemetician to produce a formula demonstrating that.

Reply to
Larry

Here's my response to the same question from 3 and a half years ago:

And now, thanks to the Wayback machine (and the Wayback Firefox plugin, which saves a great deal of cutting and pasting of URLs), here is the original ASA adjudication on Land-Rover's advertisement:

| Complaint: | Objection to a national press advertisement that claimed "Of all the | Land Rovers built in the last 30 years, 74% are still on the | road". The complainant questioned whether the advertisers could | substantiate the claim.

| Adjudication: | Complaint upheld. | The advertisers said the claim was calculated by using a UK survival | rate and total production figures and adding vehicles on the road | but not taxed, vehicles reconditioned for export markets and | vehicles held for export. The Authority considered that the claim | would be seen to refer to the percentage of all Land Rovers ever | made, including those exported, that were still working. Because | this figure could contain an unknown number of defunct vehicles, it | did not accept that the claim had been shown to be accurate. The | Authority noted that the advertisement would not be repeated but | asked the advertisers to seek guidance from the Copy Advice team | when devising similar claims.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

In article , steve Taylor writes

It occurred to me some time ago that I don't see anything like the number of series II/IIAs around that I did a few years ago. Are they hibernating, on limited mileage insurance policies, in small bits being lovingly rebuilt, or have they died ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Larry uttered summat worrerz funny about:

It's utter tosh, UNLESS they meant 70% of all lubricants ever placed in a Landrover are still on the road.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

It's a quote by JA Gilroy, MD of Land Rover Group 1982-1988. See "Land Rover, The Unbeatable 4x4, 3rd edition, by K&J Slavin & GN Mackie, Foreword, 1st para. ISBN 0-85429-721-9.

No mention of what his source was, though ...

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

That came from a Land Rover ad - they didn't actually say it, just sort of implied it with some careful wording and it turned into an urban ledgend/myth.

It's a load of codswallop, certainly these days, and porbably was then (about 5 or 6 years ago). About that time 90's became cheap enough for all to own, and Series motors, particularly

109's, were being scrapped left, right and centre - so much so that bottom dropped out of s/h spares market (we skipped 13 tons of s/h Series spares no one wanted).

Early Discovery I's are going the same way as owners don't seem inclined to do repairs like they used to in them thar 'ole days, donating engines and gearboxes to early Defenders, similarly Range Rover Classics are now at end-of-life except for some die-hards.

Defenders are still going up in value round here! Getting one at all is difficult, getting a good one is very difficult. A completely life expired 110 SW with totally knackerd 2.5D and the injector pump filling the timing case with diesel made £1,000 a couple of weeks ago - it wasn't even worth breaking!

As for 38a onwards non-Defenders, well they seem to be going just like any other luxury car - good ones sell, duff ones get scrapped.

Strangely, bearing in mind their somewhat over hyped bad reputation, Freelanders do seem to be being kept going, but then they don't, generally speaking, suffer from body/chassis rot problems - yet.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I asked a Land Rover salesman about this at one of the big agricultural shows. I can't remember what the precentage was, but it was something over 75%. His reply was that it was hardly surprising that x % of LRs were still on the road as x % were built in in the last 15 years.

Reply to
Tim Jones

That's great. Thanks a lot Karen.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

On or around Thu, 09 Nov 2006 10:00:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com (Tim Jones) enlightened us thusly:

hehe. good point. how many series were built altogether, compared to the more recent stuff?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well, the millionth Land Rover was a latish Series III, and not so long back some "personality" drove the 1.5 millionth Land Rover (all models) off the line, so I'd imagine volumes are way down on their peak, which I'd guess was sometime in the early

70's, after the Range Rover Launch and during large contracts to the militray (Lighweights and 101's). Certainly the endless train loads of vehicles heading to Southampton Docks are long gone.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd