landrover + AA = doesn't compute

I've had enough of the AA.

I was a member for 11 years at their highest-but-one level of membership

- £120+ per year for recovery etc. I needed it because it was imperitive I made the 100 mile round trip commute to work. I called them out maybe 3 times in that period. Each time was for a bike puncture.

Last year I swapped for a fleet AA membership for the landrover and catering trailer, since I belong to the NMTF (National Market Traders Federation), which offered the fleet membership for £48 or so.

Unfortunately I had to call them out 3 times. Once because the clutch master cylinder went and I got as far as I could before traffic lights conspired to drain the battery. I waited over 4 hours to be recovered, as the AA control room said that a 110 wouldn't fit their recovery lorries, so a local company had to be used. Subsquently I've been told by different AA servicemen that this isn't true.

I had to call them twice for punctures to the trailer (caused, I now know by old tyres that shed their tread - I didn't realise the tyres were this old when I first got the trailer). On the 2nd visit I expressed concern to the AA man that I would fall foul of their policy of charging for visits to re-offenders, but was assured that thsi didn't happen, since with a fleet policy the owner of the policy (NMTF) would be charged around £35 for each callout. I didn't feel so guilty.

A few weeks ago I got the renewal notice for the fleet membership - £248! I complained but was told that it wasn't open to negotiation, so I cancelled, complaining about the misinformation I was given, and that they had had over £1300 in fees with few callouts in the past.

Last Sunday I towed the trailer into the local garage to fill the generator and the starter motor failed on the 110. I had had problems with this, and had already had one repair to the starter done (internal clutch) and it was booked in for today since it had been playing up again.

I had to push the landrover off the forecourt, having unhitched the trailer, then pull the trailer (1100kg) off the forecourt, all while 4 AA patrols watched from their "rest area" - they stop here for tea breaks. My plan was to jump start the 110 by pushing it along a service road, but it wasn't as flat as I had hoped and I gave up when I had pushed it several hundred feet.

In desperation I went to one of the AA patrols and asked for their help

- either a push or a short tow start. The two patrolmen I spoke to said that there was no way to push a 110! and that they couldn't help with a tow start unless I was a member. I confirmed that I wasn't currently a member, but that I was appealing to them as a member of the public (there was no-one else to ask at 06:40 on a sunday). They said that I would have to pay £48 instant membership in order for them to help. I was sick, but they had me over a barrel, since I needed to be at an event, so I paid and they towed me the 10 feet it took to start the landrover.

Today I was at the auto electricians to pick up the 110 (by the way, what a stupid fault - the spring circlip that holds the end of the starter in had weakened allowing the commutator to move away from the brushes - a 10 minute fix once the starter was removed from the vehicle, and the man refused to charge me, saying that he didn't think that it was weak when he last serviced it, but should have seen it, so I gave him a £20 drink). Whilst there, I met another AA patrol who had been told my story from the repair man. He said that each AA patrol now has to sign up 34 new members a year and that they now no longer have the AA booths in town centres etc, or any sales staff other than telephone and internet. They can do this in several ways. They can get people like me. They also are instructed to charge a new membership to existing members who don't have both their membership card and another proof of ID when called out! The patrolman I spoke to said that they rarely did this, but the big stick of 34 new members a year meant that they couldn't be as helpful as they might.

I'm really pi**ed off with them. I appreciate I need a membership, but was going to join the RAC this year, since they are cheaper (online at least) and because of my previous bad dealings with the AA.

Reply to
danny

I think that you should send all of the above to the AA, tell them to p*ss off - and join the RAC. I'd also seriously think about sending it to the likes of Watchdog and Top Gear - I doubt it's common knowledge that their patrol staff are now expected to meet certain sign-up targets.

The RAC generally tend to know a little bit about different Landies - they most certainly know what a 101 is - and will know to send a very big flatbed recovery vehicle (as a few of us here have tested, some more than once!).

I have always had good service from my 25 odd years with the RAC. On the one occasion that Charlotte had to call out the AA they took two hours to arrive, then didn't know where the problem was. Now I'm no expert, but a stuck starter solonoid really shouldn't be too challenging, should it?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

We've had many episodes of 110s on recovery trucks, so I don't think this is true.

Reply to
David French

Do it. They've recovered me three times in the space of a month for the same problem. I explained that I had sought professional repair several times (and offered receipts) but that the problem was elusive.

No problem, they said and cheerfully brought me home.

The only issue I've had is that after year 1 the costs go up as they discount in year one. I complained that this was hardly a great loyalty bonus but no dice. They did write to me a bit later and give me some money back, so I'm happy as a sandboy.

They also adhere to some good old traditions. My grandmother still gets a Christmas card (personally signed) every year, as my late grandfather was a Superintendent back in the days when they used to salute. I'd never join another organisation out of some illogical loyalty, but they do have a good service ethic.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

-snip-

I've learnt a lot about the operation of the AA under the management of Centrica. I've learnt that the AA have closed their service centres, instead relying on the rebranded Halfords chain. This results in customer vehicles being left overnight outside, often in unsavoury locations, whereas before they would be stored in 24 hour manned premises owned/run by the AA. I've learnt about the above policy of getting as much money from members of the AA or members of the public by using the patrol staff as salesmen. I've learnt that they resent this - they are mechanics, not salesmen. In recent times over 20 AA patrol staff have left the company (South Coast area) due to this policy, whereas in previous years there were only a few staff leaving, due to retirement etc. One Patrolman I spoke to said that in over 15 years employment with the AA he had never known so many staff to leave, due to the current working practices.

Reply to
danny

I left the AA many years ago when they came out against green-laning and sided with the ramblers calling laning anti-social. God forbid they should take the side of the motorists!

Been with the RAC for 5 years or more and had good service.

Reply to
Exit

Kin eck - I really _would_ send all that to Top Gear or somesuch.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Trouble is, you'll get stiffed by whichever outfit you choose. I was a long-standing RAC member until they a) told me that I had used my quota one year and would have to pay for future recoveries (3 callouts, from memory) and b) being left on the M4 hard shoulder, past Membury Services, with a 3 week old baby, for two hours at one o'clock in the morning ( despite being told of the urgency!) I'm now with the AA and have had no problems with them (and they've recovered my 130 with the appropriate wagon on more than one occasion.)

Malcolm

Reply to
balloons

I wouldn't bash the patrols, many of then own Land Rovers, and a number even used them in the days when the AA actually bought British. My experience of the RAC was dire regarding Land Rovers, but it just depends who gets your call I suppose! I quit e RAC in digust at their attitude to off-roading (why do they get on the news these days, they are company now not a club representing users interests!) so I supose its just down to individual experience......

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

On or around Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:48:13 +0100, danny enlightened us thusly:

[snip]

none of which they told us, of course, when asking us to vote on the matter of selling it to Centrica. Buggrem.

I've a good mind to sign up with someone else, on principle, and make sure I tell 'em - recruitment targets for patrols, especially, is just plain silly.

do the RAC get up to similar tricks?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:08:47 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk enlightened us thusly:

I've known 'em take ages to respond, and the call centre ignore everything and anything you tell 'em about the fault, which can in some cases lead to an inefficient result. I realise that half the world doesn't know the difference between a camshaft and their aunt sally, but when you *do* know what's wrong with it, and tell 'em, it's a pity they don't pass it on to the patrol.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Maybe they don't like to be 'told' exactly whats wrong? They are the 'mechanics'. You know how edgy people can get if they think you're trying to tell them what they already know....admitted if it's something dragging on the carriageway (not unusual in Land Rover World I suspect!) or obvious that's another story.

Mis-diagnosis is easy on some items.

I was in the past a washing machine service engineer and had a MAJOR argument with a customer when he accused me of trying to rip him off. Short story is that his machine wasn't filling with water- 'Water valves gone!' he said as I walked through the door. It could have been (but very uncommon) I tried to suggest alternatives also but he wasn't having any of it. This was BEFORE I even touched the machine!

Shut the t**t up though as he watched every move I made and proved it to be a KNOWN (to me) common fault with a blocked chamber which sensed the water level- simply the machine thought it was full of water already so wouldn't take any more. AHH VERY SATISFYING !!! But the same fault causes many different symptoms....

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

Twas Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:15:37 +0100 when danny put finger to keyboard producing:

Me also.

I had my 110 recovered by an AA recovery lorry, not a subcontractor, one of their own.

no way to push a 110... crap, I've push started both empty and heavily laden 110's, though I'd have rather towed them.

I use the RAC now.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mr.niceATsofthome.net

Mr.Nice.

In message , danny writes

My experience is that the AA and the RAC and Green Flag are about the same. Cutting costs to meet competition whilst restricting service to members (sorry paying customers) and at the same time putting up their prices.

I have been a member of the RAC for over 20 years.

My grumble is with their European Service.

My clutch slave cylinder went in France although I did manage to get home (still in France). Not sure of where the nearest Land Rover agent was I rang the RAC only to be told I wasn't covered. So what is this card I have in my hand membership number xxx xxxx xxxx eventually as I watched the minutes on my French mobile home wither I was told I was covered but had to pay another £80 or so as mine was an old vehicle.

I did pay that under protest.

So to the problem. All I wanted was the telephone number and some help in obtaining the part.

We'll send and engineer to assess. But I had assessed I knew the problem and just wanted help to get the part.

The engineer turned up and didn't even look at the vehicle but proceeded to try to pull it up onto his lorry to take it, I know not where. When I telephone the RAC again on my mobile I was told that was the only service they offered. By that time the engineer, sorry driver of breakdown truck had gone. RAC told me I had sent him away and insisted that I should pay for him to come back.

The story gets very long but I am no longer with the RAC for European Assist. A repair which should have cost me £20 in the UK (Parts only) cost me over £400 and left me with a slipping clutch because the parts had been fitted incorrectly.

The recovery and car hire must have cost the RAC, sorry the customers, a fortune, whereas the telephone number of the Land Rover agent would have cost pence.

I'm now covered with the Caravan Club for European assistance though still with the RAC for the UK.

CHRIS

Reply to
Chris Wilkinson

On or around Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:26:34 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

you'd not push-start mine... I guarantee you that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yup, I have their 'Arrival' cover too and have it in writing that my

1977 101 camper is fully covered, with no excess to pay, in whatever circumstances - so long as it's recoverable from a public road or accessible campsite. They didn't say 'official' campsite, though :-)

I do wonder though, given your above comments, whether you have simply 'not' left the RAC, but simply changed the type of cover from the RAC. The Camping and Caravan Club 'deal' is really just a 'brand'. Would the 'quality' of the assistance you're offered differ?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Not in a landrover but I've had an 'experiance' with the AA. Took a minibus plus 17 passengers to Alton Towers 3 years ago. Got off M6 at Junc

15 and tried to slow down, ahh no brakes!. Well they did work, but needed a hell of a push on the pedal. Very slowly drove to A Towers using the gears as much as I could to slow down (the hill before the park enterence was interesting to say the least!). Parked up and rang the AA (Fleet membership included with bus). Within an hour a patrol turned up. I was fairly certain that the vacuum pump had gone and after about 15 mins of looking this is what he told me. Being a Sunday morning no one was open to get another one. So he arranged recovery for us. I heard him tell control that it was a minibus plus 17 people back to Cheltenham. Fast forward to 8.30pm. 17 cold, wet and hungrey people sat in bus trying to keep warm whilst waiting for recovery wagon (not an AA one but a garage one) to appear. We watch in puzzlement as a wagon drives round the car park 4 times, looking for something. In the end i got bored and flagged him down and found that yes he was looking for me, but had been told by AA control that it was a female driver going back to Bristol he was supposed to pick up!. SO we get the bus on the back of his wagon and he says "right 12 people back to Cheltenham then!". "Er no, 17 people" says I!!. In the end he took 8 of us in the back of his truck and phoned his boss to get the people carrier out for the rest, rather than his car!.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

In message , Mother writes

There was a bit of a stink when it was revealed that BGAS engineers had similar targets for selling replacement boilers.

Reply to
hugh

I had a spate of calling out the AA - 3 times in 5 months, each time to a different vehicle. As far as I was concerned I had good service from them. The seond time was when the engine on my 110 V8 seized on the day I bought it in the 2nd lane of a 3 lane roundabout. I called the AA and 10 minutes later a vehicle turned up to tow it off the roundabout - and 10 minutes later another one arrived - seemed that the first one was just passing and towed me out of the way simply because it was the right thing to do! There was no problem sticking it on the back of a truck. Third breakdown was on a Wolf (supplied on loan whilst I had a new engine fitted to the 110) which lost all power (fuel starvation problem) - I had the embarassment of being towed by a Frontera type vehicle the 5 miles to home.

Regards

Reply to
Neil Cummins

For many years now I've been, on and off, a member of a company called AutoHome. Having owned a succession of rattly old dogs of cars I've called them out on numerous occasions and always been satisfied with their service.

Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary Sutherland