Landy Club Recommendations

As I've been voted out of my local Land Rover Society by a s*****ad who didn't even have the balls to say anything to me at last weeks meeting, it appears I'm looking for another club to go green laning with.

Anyone got any suggestions for clubs around Merseyside or the Wirral?

I don't want to spend my weekends pissing about in disused quarries or fitting sumpguards, just enjoying a nice peaceful spot of green laning every now and then? Bit of banter in the pub, type of malarky.

Reply to
Pete M

What kind of club can act on the vote of one s*****ad?

Reply to
jg

All of them, I suspect.

On the subject of clubs: Groucho makes a good point.

Reply to
William Tasso

You could well be right.

Reply to
Pete M

Indeed you did. The club members are, as a whole, genuinely nice people. It's just this idiot and his mate. From what I've been told they only just managed to wangle getting me out of the club. I'm not too bothered, but I hate this kind of malicious misuse of the tiny amount of power they've awarded themselves (They made themselves committee members before the club had any members).

Couldn't agree more. Land Rover clubs aren't exactly thin on the ground, two other clubs not far from me have already offered me free membership (I'm a motor-trader and rather useful to them).

My main reason for ranting here was to see if anyone else had similar experiences with Land Rover Clubs, or if it's just this idiot trying to take over the club he's in.

Reply to
Pete M

Pete, care to name the club?

I had a similar encounter with a north west LR club some years ago, were a committee member left and started their own LR club on the Wirral and had their own sad little fan club who followed the person, not the club.

It became a "his name club" not a Land Rover club.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

In message , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes

I'm in the same area, and luckily I'm not very "clubby".

I can say that I have experience of an international boat club for people who built and sail a certain specific range of oldish wooden boats. It arranged things like builders meetings, where we could all visit some poor soul and say "Why on earth did you do that!?" with a knowing smile. I well remember a marvellous drive up through the snowline in Snowdonia to crawl all round a beautiful yacht being built over about 5 or more years in an outhouse of a lovely pub. Luckily SWMBO didn't come because the yacht's galley was better equipped than our kitchen The club was chugging along in a nice and friendly way until a bunch of people, who apparently rose (or sank) to greater wealth, opted for posher commercially built vessels and voted off all the knowledgeable true owners and builders from the committee. The people who mattered all navigated through a legal minefield of ownership of names, web addresses etc. and set up a little internet group that has gradually rebuilt the resources to where they were originally, and is much more friendly and really useful. As far as I know the original club withered and died.

It's sad how the few can ruin things for the majority, but that's politics for you. :-)

Reply to
Bill

Liverpool Land Rover Society. The chap who started it, Geof, is a really nice lad. Most of the members are nice people, but there are a couple of idiots who've been determined to ruin it for me since I joined; I think they saw me as a threat, even though I had zero interest in anything to do with running the club. All I want from a Landy Club is somewhere to go once or twice a month to talk Landy's and have a laugh and the occasional bit of Green Laning.

Reply to
Pete M

Most clubs to me seem to be social gatherings in pubs so I avoid them like the plague. I prefer to go green laning with mates in other motors in case one gets stuck or even on my own but if I'd have been in your position I would have been tempted to stick one on him and probably got myself properly banned. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

My brother built a 2 seater hovercraft some years ago and joined a hovercraft club, unfortunately the members were into racing them and if you encountered trouble like water swamped engine or partial sinking, they just left you to sink, its not what a club is about when you expect to rely on your mates to help, especially when stuck or in difficulty.

The north west LR club I was a member of was great, but for one or two people who you thought were friends yet turned out not to be.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

The north west LR club was based in north Wales and had meetings at a pub called the Rock at Loch IIRC, I've not been a member for years and can't remember the other LR group that sprang from it who had a following.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

You could always try Mud Club