Last call for advice on TD to Tdi swap in 90

Hi all (again)

Just a note to find out if anyone had carried out the above conversion. It would appear that the engine mounts are the same and the it will go straight on the 'box, but i am still trying to work out whether the exhausts are the same or not as they look very similar!

Also, has anyone got any tips for this conversion. I can see that its not going to be too difficult(!) but as this is my only road vehicle I want to get it done in as short a time as possible. Knowing my luck I will get the engine in no probs and find that i;ve got some small problem that holds me up for ages!

Would be great to hear from someone that has already done this conv.....

Cheers again

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

As long as you get a 200Tdi from a Defender then the conversion is as easy as taking one engine out and putting the other back in !! All the mounts will line up and the TD exhaust will fit straight on to the Tdi - even the engine loom will plug straight into the multi plug and will work! Just change the rad to a Tdi one with the intercooler built in and do up all the extra hoseclips and drive away!!

Hope that puts your mind at ease.....

David LLAMA 4x4

David_LLAMA4x4

Thanks for that. Just bought a new rad for the old TD so i;m going to keep that in place and put an intercooler kit in aswell (full width job) I'm so glad the exhaust goes straight on, makes my life alot easier! Think the throttle linkage is a bit different on mine so i'm going to have to bodge that one some how! Thanks for the word of encouragement anyway as ts a realistic propostion for the weekend now!!

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

If you are keeping the big TD rad you will almost certainly be able to run with no fan at all!! I have just towed a 23' trailer up the Pyrenees with a

200 Defender and I only had to put the big Kenlowe on a couple of times! In the UK I run with no cooling fan at all and have never overheated - with the bigger rad you are leaving in place you will probably struggle to get any heat out of the heater!!

For the throttle linkage just buy a throttle cable for a 200 Tdi Defender - it will fit the existing pedal and obviously go straight onto the engine...

All in all no reason why a weekend won't see the job finished with ease....

David LLAMA 4x4

David_LLAMA4x4

Thanks again, the engines out and on the garage floor and have just changed the cam-belt (not as bad as i thought) but it hasnt started yet!! Then got to get the sump off to weld a rust hole up and might do the rear crank oil seal as a preventative measure.

Do u rate the 200 then? This one kind of fell into my lap so i couldnt refuse really! Was lucky!

I was fortunate enough to try my mates 90 with an intercooler kit on it the other day and was well inpressed. Need to save a bit more first though!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Of all the readily available engine swaps I reckon that the 200 is the best of them all - in practice as good as the 300 but a sinch to fit into any

4cyl LR. I chose it for my 2 110s deliberately - I particularly like the fact that it has enough oomph for normal use, is fuel efficient ( I just got 26mpg to Spain towing a 22' trailer ) and the fact that you can still fix the fanbelt with a pair of stockings!

It is perhaps the last enhine LR fitted that was genuinely 'field-repairable' and yet was modern enough to offer reasonable performance....

David

David_LLAMA4x4

Can a 200tdi be dropped into a series 3?

Jason Hall

Reply to
Jason Hall

Yes, as far as the engine mounts / gearbox etc. Where you might struggle is getting the rad/intercooler in without changing to a Defender front and you will have to make up your own exhaust..... Not a massive conversion to undertake.... Make sure you get Defender spec 200's not Disco or the job will start to get bigger...

David

David_LLAMA4x4
"

Cheers again for the info David, Just discovered an even bigger hole in the sump that I need to repair so I will have to put off the transfer date for a little while i think.

Have run out of things to do on it now. Just a few tiny jobs. I was warned off taking the thing apart by several people "in the know". So i've left as it is apart from the new cam-belt. Am certainly looking forward to not being in 3rd and 4th all the way to work now, especially with the intercooler fitted. Also looking forward to having an extra 15 minutes in bed when I have to tow the trailler to an event. A lorry passed me on the way to work this morning. Not happy.

And as for the stockings, well I guess your vehicles must have more accesories than mine!

Thanks again, i'll let you know how I get on!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds