Leaking Sunroof

I've got a 98 Disco TDi with two leaking sunroofs. I know the leaks are factory fitted but is there a fix? I was told about drain holes being blocked but I can't locate them. Any ideas (sensible) would be appreciated.

Les

Reply to
Les

On or around Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:10:51 GMT, "Les" enlightened us thusly:

these will be tilt/slide roofs, I imagine?

they have drain pipes. I think there are 2 per roof, if they're anything like the one I had in a citroen, they're bloody difficult to find.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Les

When I did mine, which was a 95 Disco I think they were at the back corner of each sunroof, with a pipe going off each side. Mine had plastic blocks that were to seal the pipe to the frame, they are a push fit and useless for sealing, so I sealed mine with mastic. I did not find that the drain tubes were blocked The biggest cause of the leaks where the frame fixing screws. I took each one out in turn and sealed it with bathroom sealant. Did the job on both my front and back roofs. Tracing the leak was my main problem because the water collected above the headlining then ran and gathered at the sides making seem like the leak was there.

Hope this helps.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Coombs

There are several LR technical bulletins regarding leaks in Discovery's. Have a chat to your local dealer and see if he'll copy them for you. I used to have a set but can't find them ... probably binned when I sold the Disco.

Regards

Steve G

Les wrote:

Reply to
SteveG

in article 27uId.16024$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, SteveG

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Nice one Nikki, you reminded me that they used to be on my old web site. They're still in the folder on my hard drive. I'll post them to the new site tomorrow (Sunday) and then post the URL here for anyone that wants to download them but they'll only be there for a couple of days.

Regards

Steve G

Nikki Cluley wrote:

Reply to
SteveG

The tech pubs for Discovery 1 water leaks can be found at:

They'll be there until next weekend.

Regards

Steve G

Les wrote:

Reply to
SteveG

in article 4gCId.16407$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, SteveG

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

in article vQSId.17077$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, SteveG

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

hey wont load for me for some reason - could you send em to me in an attachment please.

Reply to
StaffBull

I don't mind emailing them (I'm on 2Mb broadband) but one of the files is 1.8Mb and one of the others is 750kb so they could take a while to download if your on dial-up.

Did you try right-clicking the links to save them on your computer, rather than opening them?

Regards

Steve G

StaffBull wrote:

Reply to
SteveG

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info....I'll take a closer look and see if it cures the problem. I'll let you know.

Regards....Les

Reply to
Les

I assume that they have four drains like a Range Rover (both Classic and P38A) - two at the front and two at the rear.

For the P38A, the drains are hidden by the plastic wheel arch liners - the Disco is probably the same. Some pix are at

The one labelled Front Drain1.jpg is one of the front drains in the sunroof. The others are the drains as they appear in the front mudguard ("wing" in UK speak).

Ron Beckett Emu Plains, Australia Mobile (within Australia) 0415 286 921 or (international) +61 415 286 921

1995 P38A Range Rover HSE 4.6 Litre V8

Reply to
The Becketts

Reply to