leaking tank drain plug - accident or design?

Just went to move the Landy (Side Steps the return match...) and discovered an unflattering pool of diesel beneath. Leak from the drain plug of the tank.

Is this common/uncommon, and do I have the local tea-leaves to thank, or just entropy?

I'll weld it up, that'll stop 'em... BOOOOM!

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , SpamTrapSeeSig writes

Ehem not necessarily the tank. Could be the flexible bit up to the nozzle (the drain c*ck is the lowest point). investigations will have to continue.

Diesel leaks go *everywhere*, don't they?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

A word of advice from someone whos been in the same position...... catch the diesel in something & wash under your landy straight away. I didn't think much of the small puddle that collected under the landy when the return pipe started leaking, until I pressure washed the road and part of it blew away.

Oh and don't rule out anywhere to be leaking. As you say the drain plug is the lowest point and the diesel will allways drip from as low as it can. a leak on the top of my tank was dripping from the lower edge. Confused the hell out of me.

Reply to
HobGobSnakyWaky

In article ,

I think you may be right. I filled right up last time, and having now looked more closely, I think it's probably the downpipe from the filler or the overflow. I'll Gunk it and wash it and see where if anywhere it reappears first.

Of course, now it'll start raining...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

It is not uncommon for a leak to appear to be from the drain plug, but it is mostly due to corrosion between the two "skins" of the tank, and just happens to appear at the drain plug, which is the lowest point.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

In article , richard. watson writes

I ever-so-hope you're wrong, but I fear you might be right...

Won't know till tomorrow, when it gets gunked & cleaned.

Tonite I have mainly fixed the refersing light an the heater blower. Feel I achieved a bit, anyway.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig