LED "bulbs" again

Previously remarked on SuperBright LEDs. These are still excellent value but the Ultra LEDs lot have stolen a march on them - latest one from Ultra has 19 axial and 16 radial LEDs for a total of 35, the important bit being that they are 26mm dia. and fit normal bulb housings. They're more expensive, at about 8 quid each (cf about 8 dollars) but worth the extra, I think.

I got a pair of these to try out in the minibus and they're sufficiently impressive that I've just ordered some more - 2 more amber and 2 of the similar 30-LED (18 axial, 12 radial) red ones for me brake lights. I'm happy with the superbright ones for rear/fog lamp - but their 24-LED amber one is not impressive in an indicator housing. I emailed them to say so, but haven't seen any new products...

Ultra do a 35-led one for rear/brake appications in red, as well.

I see their latest offering is one with 16 LEDs all radial which they say is ideal for the jewel-type modern car lamps.

no connection, with either company. Ultra seem to be the way to go for indicators, especially, at the moment.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin have you got a link to them - I was thinking it might be a good idea the scooby eats stop/tail bulbs I've just treated her to xenon halogen bulbs so I may as well go the whole hog Derek 'All the gear - no idea'

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sun, 12 Mar 2006 22:49:20 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

will see what Ultra's 30-led red ones look like in a day or so. much impressed by the amber ones - for some reason, amber ones tend to look less bright then they should based on their output - all the ones I've had from superbright are technically brighter than the red equivalent, they just don't look like it.

can't speak for the 16-radial thing. The combination axial+radial ones make a bright spot in the middle, which is good in bright conditions, I think - might look naff in the modern jewel-type reflectors with clear glass though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" wrote >>> --

Austin...I can't see any standard replacements on either of the sites for the normal Stop/Taillight bulbs with two filaments. Or are my eyes not seeing properly?

Regards Bob Hobden

Reply to
Bob Hobden

EMB

On or around Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:00:15 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

on the Superbright site you want 1157-Rnn where nn is number of LEDs.

on the Ultra site they're listed in the menu on the left - click on "automotive bulbs (323)" or whatver the number is and you get a sub-menu, then click "380 stop/tail bulbs (14)"

various types - normally recommended to use red ones in red-lensed units. White ones are brighter, but the red lens filters out all but the red light, so a waste of effort. Obviosuly, if you've got clear lenses, then you have to have red units.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin I will have to give them a try they sound ok ( specially the economy ones) let us know how you find them Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:41:25 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

my findings so far: the plain 19-led narrow angle ones work quite nicely in LR indicators with the fresnel style lenses, and no reflectors.

the plain ones in reflector style housings such as disco are no bloody good at all.

Superbright's (wide angle LEDs, admittedly) 24-LED ones with 6 radial aren't much cop as indicators, not bright enough, although the brake/tail one works OK in the minibus rear lamps which are not completely unlike disco ones.

single-pin 24LED red ones in the minibus foglamp bit are OK, not incredibly bright but OK. I use these as brake lights (wiring swapped round, also done the same to the disco; my theory is that you want fog lights to be brighter-than-normal rear lights, but it's safer to have a separate brake light which only does one job)

Ultra LEDs 35-LED (19 ax, 16 rad) amber unit is excellent in the indicator housings. They claim 60 degree viewing LEDs for the axial ones, which looks about right. nice and bright and good glow in the lens. I've just ordered

2 more for the back, and also some of their 30-LED (18 ax, 12 rad) single contact red, for the brake lights.

Judging by the results from the 35-led amber, I'd expect the 35-led brake/tail red ones to be equally impressive - but I'm happy enough with the superbright 24s in the application I use 'em for, so changing those is not a priority.

Ultra LEDs fancy ones cost more - 16-17 quid per pair, compared with superbright's 24 models, but are significantly better.

Shipping stuff by plain mail from the states (superbright) for 5 bucks has worked fine the 2 times I've done it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles"replied after... "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

Thank you both, I must be tired!

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I will agree with Austin,

following the last discussion I bought a set of amber 35 LEDs per "bulb", a set of red brake/tail light 35 LEDs "bulbs" and a set of front position white 30 LEDs "bulbs" and a special relay for the operation of the amber flashing "bulbs"

They are EXCELLENT, very bright, extremely easy to fit and dealing with ultraleds was very efficient. Took them only one week to be delivered to me in Greece from the UK.

No connection with the company, just a VERY satisfied costumer and Austin thanks for recommending them.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:12:51 +0200, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

I think when I first went looking they were selling the same products, near enough. The 35-led ones are relatively new. Also, in this country, you get away without silly amounts of tax and duty, which makes the US ones a good bet pricewise. The 35-led amber ones are excellent in the indicators, though - as bright as normal 21W which the Superbright 24 ones aren't.

Reply to
Austin Shackles