leds on disco II

anyone fitted LED indicator bulbs, and if so did they work -

a) without load resistors b) with load resisitors?

The BCM does indicators, AFAIK, and thus there isn't a flasher unit to either replace or doctor, unlike the earlier models. Chances are it'll go apeshit with "wrong" loads...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Surely only the thermal flasher units go ape shit with wrong loads. I'd expect a computer just to toggle the relay drive at the same rate regardless. If there was some "bulb blown" detection it might vary the rate as an indication.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would have thought that too, so why do modern cars with EBCM flash the inidicators with a different cadence when the hazards are on? The amount of on-time is distinctly shorter.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:34:55 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

nah, there's a requirement to have a bulb-outage indication by flashing at either faster or slower pace. Thermal flasher units flash very slowly or not at all with only 1 bulb in place (eg old series motors) - electronic units have load-sensing and use this to make it flash (usually) very fast. Putting LEDs instead of bulbs makes the unit think a bulb has gone. However, on those, the bulb-outage can be disconnected on the circuit board - easier if you can identify the corrcet pin of the little IC is the bulb outage signal. The more clever electronic ones also have load sensing for more-than-normal bulbs, and use this to flash a trailer light on the dash. This is why the trailer light if you have one flashes when you run the hazards. thing is, the DII doesn't have a flasher unit as such, the lights and flashers and so on are switched by the BECM via relays. I suppose I could remove a bulb and see what it does. It's not immediately obvious how it does bulb outage sensing, if it does.

doesn't answer my question though :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles