Load Exhaust Ser III

To test if the exhaust valves are leaking, test the compression. The simplest test is to turn the engine using the hand crank, checking that all four compressions are the same. At the same time, stop on each compression and listen for hissing in the exhaust. To be slightly more exact, use a compression gauge in the spark plug holes, turn the engine by starter and check for close to the same pressure in each cylinder, again listening for the sound of a leak into the exhaust. I think it is unlikely that you have a leaky exhaust valve. If a valve were leaking badly enough to increase noise from the exhaust, I would expect it to be running noticeably roughly and to be noticeably down on power. In addition, the noise would normally be most noticeable when idling. JD

Reply to
JD

Give the thing a damn good tune up. Plugs, points, condensor, rotor, cap, leads, then set the tappets, timing, idle speed & mixture. The see how it goes.

Any freeflow system (especially one with headers) will sound noisy - the freer it flows the less noise it will stop. Stainless exhausts tend to resonate more than mild steel ones so will sound louder. It still shouldn't really be an issue - my 2.25 has a 54mm mild steel exhaust with one 'performance' muffler and is not noticeably noisier than standard. Incidentally said mild steel exhaust is now about 10 years old and still hanging together - I wouldn't waste the money on a stainless system unless I was regularly on salted roads (which I doubt you see often in Cape Town).

Sounds normal - at an idle of say 700rpm it's pumping out well over

1000l/minute of gas. If the pipe is 54mm diameter (and my maths is correct) then the exhaust gas will be travelling at about 20kph as it exits the pipe when idling - that will give the impression of pressure!

Check/set the tappets (as above), then do a compression test or a leak down test. If the results look good you'll have to start looking for the cause.

Pipe colour is basically meaningless on unleaded - about the only inference I would draw from this is that it's not burning oil.

Reply to
EMB

I recently overhauled my 2,25 motor but the head job may have been a bit dodgy. My exhaust makes a lot of noise when I put the accelerator hard with little acceleration. It has been getting louder but the exhaust is a recently fitted s.steel freeflow which someone tells me gets louder as it wears in? At engine idle the exhaust pressure seems pretty high when holding my hand near the end of the pipe. How do I tell if my compression is blowing past the exhaust valves into the exhaust? By the way the pipe burns nice and light brown on 97 octane leaded. Any ideas?

Cheers James Cape Town

Reply to
jamsan

I thought they got quieter as they 'wear in' due to being a bit more sooted up? Have you also put a k&n type air filter on? If so, you may need to adjust the mixture, what colour are the spark plugs after a run ? Richard

Reply to
Richard