location of chassis number? (series 1)

Hello,

Can anybody who ACTUALLY HAS a 1951/52 80" please tell me where their chassis number is located. I can't find mine anywhere and there is no longer a plate on the bulkhead.

Thanks,

Matt B

Reply to
Matt

AFAIK it was in the same place as on the Series 2 - on the dumb iron that supports the front of the front leaf springs - not sure what side though. They're usually missing as the dumb iron was one of the first to get itself rusted away.

Reply to
Graeme

I've had a couple of 80" and they were both stamped on the rear nearside, over the rear end of the nearside rear spring, on the outside of the chassis hanger.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Ah whoops - I'm wrong again :-((

Maybe we should have a challenge though - see who has the oldest Land Rover with a visible (original) stamped in chassis number???

Mine hasn't one.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme
80: LHS engine mount (on chassis, not engine!) 86: top of rear hanger for nearside rear spring

Gordon

PS if your email address worked you'd have known this last night

Reply to
Gordon

Twas Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:56:29 +0100 when "Graeme" put finger to keyboard producing:

Mine has at 1984 vintage, shall we start from there?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

-
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Sorry Graeme, not saying you're wrong, if it has been repaired it could have been restamped there.

Having said that, I've still got a 1949 chassis with the chassis no. stamped on top of the front engine mount, nearside I think, if I remember rightly.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

1949? I don't think there's going to be much to beat that one for age!

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Thanks to all for the replys,

I had to abandon the talk21 email addy due to 60ish spams per day. I can't find the number in any of the locations mentioned. Possibly this is because someone (in the 70's) grafted in a six cylinder engine which must have involved relocating (replacing?) the engine mounts.

I'm planning to transfer the reg number to the wifes car before selling it. I've not done a transfer before, is the lack of number likely to be a problem? Before anyone gets started - I've had the landy for over 20 years and I'm not a number plate dealer.

Matt B

Reply to
Matt

Hold on a minute! It's only a kn*****ered chassis, nothing else, but I have still got the half decent rear tub (80") if anyone is looking for one.

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

The DVLA website is usually a good place to look stuff up. Theyre slowly adding stuff to it and making it useful.

Ive just looked up transfering no plates, and it just refers you to your local office and tell you what form you need. Might be easiest just to ring the office up, or drop in and pick up the forms to have a look at them.

Im in the process of trying to get the documents for a car i bought that the previous owner never sent off. That form needs the chassis number (despite having the reg no on too), so i imagine that the ones youre gonna have to fill in will need it too

Does your existing V5 document not have a chassis number on it?. If not, then you can probably leave it blank, and show the people in the office that your v5 is blank too (or even just make something up to keep them happy if they complain!).

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes I do have a registration number on the V5 - and on the MOT certificate. I've already got them to send a set of forms (not arrived yet) but was worried because they say you must make the vehicle available for inspection. I just wondered what would happen if they inspected but couldn't find the number. I don't want to end up with no transfer and a Q plate on the landy!

Cheers,

Matt B

Reply to
Matt