Locking Wheel Nuts

Just collected the new truck and find out that it has locking wheel nuts on, did the seller include the key, did he hell! So now what, he claims he can't find it anywhere. I heard once that it is possible to hammer a socket onto the nut but it will no doubt wreck the socket in the process. Any ideas? I don't fancy chancing it for long as sure as eggs I'll get a flat.

Andy

Reply to
AC

Pop it round to a local garage that you trust, they can normally get them off within a few minutes. Locking wheelnuts are only really of any use against thieves who don't have the time to mess about. Garages often seem to end up having to remove a wheel from a car with locked nuts so they've usually got the right thing to do it!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

If it's a Landy you should have got a little plastic card with all the security stuff on it including the locking nut number, assuming they're from new and real LR ones.

Or take the VIN number and ask LR for a new card.

Reply to
William Black

To be honest your best bet is to take it to an engineer or garage and ask; anybody posting a working solution here would be letting the cat out of the bag :-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

Err, this is the internet.... Typing "remove locking wheelnuts" into google will show you how many cats are out of how many bags!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

LRs have a fixed series of settings labelled A to G. Go to an independent dealer and try them all til you get the one that fits.

Reply to
hugh

No point in propagating it

Reply to
Hirsty's

two options without researching.

  1. Weld a large steel "normal" nut onto the locking nut to allow you to get a socked on it on it. I've had this done on a used car a bought with the same problem as you. work sone by garage up the road.

  1. Depending on the shape of the wheel, you may be a ble to get a nut splitter on it.

Reply to
vertuas

It's easy when you know how. Take off the stainless trims and get a blunt cold chisel. Drive the wheel nuts off by the semi circle groves machiened in the nut to get one off, then take it to the dealers and get the correct key for it and if you are lucky you will still have a full set of working locking nuts. To be honest it takes a couple of mins to get em off, so their use is as a deterant only.

Reply to
Simon Cochran

On or around Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:58:01 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

I've seen 'em done by welding a nut to the end.

Reply to
Austin Shackles