Long range tanks?

Hi all,

1984 110 V8 Station Wagon - what's the easiest/cheapest way of increasing the fuel carrying capacity? I was thinking of sourcing some kind of fuel tank, mounting it in front of the existing tank with some connecting pipes, so that the level is maintained between the two, so no fiddling around with extra filler pipes, switches etc. Any ideas/ hints/ cries of "bloody fool"?

TIA,

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

I had on old IIa LWB (ex-MOD) that had tanks under each of the front drivers and passenger seat, with a manual switch to flip between the two - I woulnt imagine it would be too hard to jerry rig a pair of those with your main tank?

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Yes, under the RH seat at least ( LH seat has battery under it), except that being a SW there wouldn't be anywhere for the filler tube to exit - plus I really didn't want to fuss witrh rerouting fuel pies etc. to a switch. I thought that a forward tank, connected to he original with three pipes (two at the bottom to allow fuel to flow between, one at the top to allow air back and forth) would be the most straightforward.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

I remember having to lift the seat bases out to fill my tanks :o)

It shouldnt be hard to move the battery (to any place), and I cant think of why all three tanks couldnt somehow be linked to one main feed before your lift pump. Not sure of what (if any) extra strain there would be on the lift pump though - is having a switch really a problem?

Anyway, keep the group posted, I'd be interested in what you come up with.

Ta,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Not really - just extra hassle (and the expense of the tap). I could source a military or Series 1 tank, with the filler in the lid, but I don't know if the missus would like the fuel smell in the vehicle. Maybe I'll abandon the whole idea!

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

SNIP

To be honest, I never really noticed any fuel smells once the cap was back on - the nozzles are so big on those things you can't possibly miss and spill any outside of the actual tank.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Reply to
Nick

Is there any type of Landrover that has external filler points! On both of mine the tanks are under the seats. Must be a coiler thing.

Reply to
Rory

The smell is fine once filled up, it's at it's worst when at the pump, also, the pasenger will need to get out. You will have to route the changeover switch but that's not hard. I think you'll need the outriggers for the fuel tanks as well. I'm sure the battery can go in the engine bay but may be mistaken. As fabrication is going to be in order anyway then relocating the battery isn't the hardest job.

I wouldn't worry about balancing levels on that scale either.

Sounds a good job to keep us posted on though, you can bet it will be referred to in future.

All the best

Reply to
wayne

All non-military Series II and III

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

My current SIII LWD 2.25 Diesel has a 'traditional' filling point.

Reply to
Nick

I was being sarcastic/humerous! Geds I dispaire at times.

Reply to
Rory

[Mork mode]

Ah, humour! Ar, ar, ar, ar.

[/Mork mode]
Reply to
Srtgray

My IIa has factory fitted twin tanks (under both seats) with ordinary external fillers on both.

Reply to
EMB

Obviously never seen me filling up then Derek

Reply to
Derek