Longevity of 2.5n/a engine, and LT77 gearbox?

Hi all, I bought an older 110 a couple of years ago with 2.5n/a engine, and LT77 gearbox. The vehicle only has 80,000 kms on it and runs very well. Looks like the injector pump has been replaced. I replaced the timing belt recently. THe gearbox shifts well, not really bad noises or clunks (the odd one). I've ordered an oil thrower for the LT77, and have replaced all fluids in gearbox/xfer case.

There may not be a general answer to this (depends on usage type etc.), but I am wondering what is an average lifespan (before internal surgery is required) for the 2.5n/a and the LT77, so I can start planning for future repairs, or apply more preventative maintenance (adjustments, fluid changes, etc.). I read somewhere (LROI) that an LT77 will likely require overhaul at 80,000 miles.

Thanks.

--Robert (Canada - which means that upgrading the 2.5 to Tdi is not simple nor cheap)

Reply to
Robert St-Louis

229000 miles and counting.(368500 km) there is clunk in the drivetrain when taking up slack, not enough to worry me though. engine needs a new injector pump, but only because I broke the one I have. recent water pump as I was doing the timing belt and the bearings in the water pump were starting to make a noise so did it anyway. Alternator was dead when I got it (january 2004) so it has a new uprated one on. Will be fitting recon injectors soon also.

otherwise still as standard out-of-the-box and still going strong.

I believe it's working life prior to me was on-road or graded tracks carrying people, with at least the last 5 years towing a horse box. With me it does mostly roads with about 20 miles per week on rough tracks/off road.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.
195,000miles on my 1986 n/a 90 , engine still sweet. gearbox & drivetrain much smoother than my 300tdi 90 .

the n/a engines just dont seem to wreck the LT77 like the v-8s do .

i think landrover just put too much horsepower up to those gearboxes when they added v8 and 200tdi , and the R380 suffers same with 300tdi onto it , theyre ok if you drive them reasonably but many drivers today are all right foot and speed with no sense of mechanicals whatsoever .

the old LT75 was a 4x4 mans gearbox but all later boxes were part built from car gearboxes and i dont think man enough for serious off road and tough terrain driving .

auto transmission is much softer on landy drivetrains than anything but landrover didnt take the hint and fit them as standard into many landys .

as far as i can tell a landrover will last twice as long if not 3 times as any normal road car but i wish theyd use copperslip on all the botls when building the landrover instead of dryfitting them .

the only problem i had with my 1986 90 is the steering pump failed , but 30mins and a new pump cured that easy enough .

i allways use DEXRON in the gearbox and allways keep swivel housings and universal joints topped up .

brake pads , well they just dont seem to use them up , 2 years and counting on the same pads and hardly a sign of wear , wish my old range rover was like that instead of killing front pads in less than 2 months flat .

they might be slow, but i get a better view from the drivers seat :-))

Reply to
M0bcg

As long as you change the oils and filters and have some mechanical sympathy, then 10,000 hours is easily achievable. How many miles this equates to varies according to your type of use. If, like me, you drive off road, heavy tow and have mainly short journeys, then this may be between

100,000 and 140,000 miles. If you drive following the Canadian Pacific railroad then perhaps over 300,000 is possible. My engine and gearbox are totally original apart from a head gasket at over 10,000 hours. The gearbox [lt77] has not been used with ATF for over 15 years though. It has been run filled with oil suitable for Ford MT75 gearboxes which is fluid roughly equivalent to the latest recommendation of MT oils. The transfer box has always run with light viscosity [10w/30] Super Universal Tractor Oil.

It has had a steady diet of steering and suspension components, including steering boxes and pumps, also clutch master and slave cylinders but only two actual clutches [one in the second year of its twenty].

Good luck.

Huw

Reply to
Huw