Loss of Drive

Just pulling onto the drive after a days playing in the mud and the Td5 Disco looses all drive !!!!

I think it's the Transfer box, rear output shaft (or there abouts) because:

  1. a horrible low grinding noise seems to be coming from that area when in gear.
  2. When central diff is locked the noise goes and I have drive.
  3. When in gear (no CDL) only the front prop turns
  4. I have checked the rear axle and turning each wheel by hand will turn the rear prop.

Can anybody confirm this (or not)

Cheers Mark

Reply to
mm

Sounds right to me.

David.

Reply to
David French

cheers David,

LR assistance are booked for 8am in the morning to diagnose the problem. Didn't want to tell them that I can get drive with the CDL locked (not standard on a '99 model tho :-) ) as I wont get my free hire car if LR assistance doesn't come out

Mark

Reply to
mm

On or around Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:48:18 -0000, "mm" enlightened us thusly:

sound like the center diff has gone AWOL.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well if the handbrakes working ok then it's not the rear half shafts or rear diff...and if there is drive with the diff lock on then the front appears ok so sounds like its whatever drives the rear output shaft from the transfer box....

let us know.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Front diff gone? jack up one of the front wheels and try spinning it, does the front propshaft turn?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Gilmour