Loss of power 300Tdi

Hi I was dirving home with a trailer yesterday and I found that I had significantly less power than usual. Vehicle is a 96 300Tdi Disco SerI.

After recent posts, I suspected in no particular order:

The lift Pump - I am not convinced mine is working at the last time I changed the fuel filter, it did not seem to do anything. The sedimenter thingy at the back near the fuel tank- I have never looked at it. The air-inlet elbow collasping - although I thought this would result in almost total power loss, and I would say I pobably still had about 50-60%.

I had a quick look under the bonnet and saw that the long pipe that runs from the 90 elbow, past the suspension tower, into the charge cooler seems to be pretty rough around the suspension tower. I have not yet removed it but would a crack in this pipe cause the sort of power loss I mention?

I have recently had the engine redone and there was no sign of overheating or loosing fuilds, so I am pretty sure it is not a head gasket or similar.

Regards Stepen

Reply to
fanie

On or around Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:20:40 +0200, "fanie" enlightened us thusly:

turbo not producing boost, for one reason or another. if the inlet has leaks after the turbo, it can do that. Shows you how much the turbo does normally... I once failed to secure one of the rubber hose bits, and it blew off, resulting in effectively a non-turbo engine...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Unlikely - 200/300Tdi's don't really "need" the lift pump unless the injector system requires priming. Most of the time you'd never know it had failed until you run ouf of fuel - in the middle of nowhere!

You ought to - but it's lower down on the list for this problem.

That's the most likely candidate - and the soft straight one at the intercooler end.

It would, but you'd most likely hear a very noticable whistle.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

when the lift pump goes on mine (on my third..) it causes a lack of power. sometimes it also causes the revs to become 'sticky' (they drop very slowly) and it to race at idle (presumably due to air in the fuel)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:00:28 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

You shouldn't get air-in-fuel unless you have fuel line leaks.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks all for the responses. I have managed to track down all the rubber intercooler bits, but not the main straight pipe as yet. I will take it down to my chappie later today to see if he can sort anything out. Lift pump ruled out for now then.

Reply to
fanie

If by this you mean that when working the hand lever it didn't 'pump', it's very likely that the operating arm (which you can't see) was on the wrong side of the cam lobe. If it happens again, turn the engine one full revolution and try again.

Reply to
Dougal

Reply to
fanie