Low Clutch

Just got in my disco tonight and the clutch has gone south. There is approx

50% free travel before any resistance is met. I'm assuming that this is probably the slave cylinder or master cylinder. A bit of observation should show me which one,to replace the slave cylinder I am assuming that this can be done without too much disaaembly work regarding gearbox/bell housing etc.

Any other pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Reply to
Tony L

Replace both cylinders.

Reply to
EMB

Check pedal return spring.

Reply to
Dougal

Check fluid level!

Just had this with the hybrid. Sadly, I ended up replacing both master/slave cyl's anyway, but a fluid top up helped to get home.

(Dodgey Britpart stuff, it works, but is a very heavy clutch pedal now, with also a very short arc of control. One day (!) I'll recon/re-seal the old parts.)

The slave can be a bit of a bar-steward to get out, if the rubber dust cap has swolen (oil contamination) as it then won't want to go through the hole.

Use of "inapropriate force" was found to be needed, prybars etc and all. Then long nose pliers to get the rubber cap out by itself, once it had come off the slave cyl' and let that out like a bullet!

Check the end of the slave push rod. If it looks badly worn, not good, as idealy you need to split engine/box to get that hooked back on the actuating arm. Some manage it without the plastic clip, but....

As the famous books say, reassembly is the reverse of disasembly, just without the extreme measures!

I can also highly recomend the simple version of the Gunson Power Bleader, for putting new fluid in, getting air out. Wish I'd bought one years ago. Got that from the big H, was on offer at the time too.

Regards.

Dave B.

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter