low-fuel warning lamp

Having run-out of fuel a few months ago (oops) I found that the low fuel warning lamp wasn't working, I've since heard that many others low fuel warning lights don't work, someone said that they are not connected.

I've looked at the wiring diagram and the warning lamp should be connected to the fuel sender by it's own wire.

so... are the warning lamps supposed to be connected and working on this vintage vehicle?

is there a simple connector on the fuel sender?

how do I get to the fuel sender?

1984 110 csw 2.5 n/a diesel.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

If it's anything like the one on my 1986 90 2.5 petrol then I expect someone has disconnected it to stop it constantly flashing on and off at anything under half full. It's driving me mad.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I shall keep that in mind...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

In message , Mr. Nice. writes

AIUI the originals had the switch on the sender to operate the light, but later replacements didn't. I think I still have one of the latter in my garage. Never got round to fitting it cos the original started working again, and then I sold the motor 1986 ex-mil 90 with 200tdi upgrade.

Reply to
hugh

the one on our 90 flashes on and off at random when its full and flashes on and off at random when nearly empty. Its ok when about 1/2 tank tho. That reminds me, must take the bulb out. Richard

Reply to
Richard

I'll second that

Reply to
George Spigot

Such a thing would have been useful this morning as I ran out of fuel going up a slight hill and just about spluttered around the corner and to where I normally park and get the jerry can out.

I have been running around on a practically empty tank for too long and decided to fill the whole thing up for once, mind you it costs :(

Reply to
Larry

In message , Larry writes

Esp if the tank is full of rust and holes:)

Reply to
hugh

Reply to
John Oakes

In message , John Oakes writes

Well it's certainly cheaper than filling the tank with fuel, although I believe it does have its drawbacks.

Reply to
hugh