Low octane, leaded fuel in 3.5V8 from SD1 in 101...

Hi everybody,

I'm thinking about my Africa trip, and thoughts turn to petrol.

My engine is a 3.5V8 from an SD1 - this is the high compression version

- running on SU HIF44 carbs.

I've had a punt around on the Internet and in a couple of Africa Overland books and it appears I should expect octane ratings of fuels in North Africa to be consistently

Reply to
David French

It'll be fine, just be prepared to retard the timing a few degrees if it pinks due to the lower octane. The lead won't harm it, the opposite in fact. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Just another point, if you have a CAT, then remove it before the trip as even running the motor for a few minutes on leaded will wreck the CAT. something to do with the lead reacting with whatever the catalyst is on the cat-converter.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel