LPG on diesel engines

The irony of course is Dr. Diesel actually invented the things to burn veggie oil, not dino.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

problems" a

What was his view on ring gumming? ()

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Probably illegal ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

On or around Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:49:06 +0100, "Andrew Mawson" enlightened us thusly:

dunno. I'll ask Paul at internal fire, if I get a chance - his Sulzer is more or less the same as Diesel's original engine :-)

my feeling is that it's worth trying up to 50% veg mix, and that this doesn't appear form what I read to cause major problems. I'll be looking into oil suppliers sometime soon.

The word is that processing is still the best solution, but that's more hassle and expense and better suited to commercial-scale operation.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Right down to the energy guzzling air blast injection. Diesel didn't get it that right, the brit that was developing something at the same time understood pressure, volume and temperature effect better.

One of the intents in the early, slow, ci engines was actually to reduce shock load compared with si engines. The fact that once decent injector pumps became available that diesel was more economical was a bonus.

I actually like to see him starting his semi diesel genset, pragmatic engineering to make the best of poor fuel, that turned out to be super reliable.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

On or around Thu, 11 Oct 2007 19:05:32 +0100, AJH enlightened us thusly:

to be fair, one of the things Diesel tried burning was coal dust, try getting that through a liquid injector. AIUI it was Bosch who came up with the high-pressure metering pump as used until recently on pretty much everything.

The latest semi-diesel is a 2-cylinder vertical Allen which sits about 7ft tall, and is quite similar to one installed in Cardigan many years ago for the town's lighting.

Reply to
Austin Shackles