LPG, Where is the tank gitted on a D90?

The only practical place on a 90 is in the rear load space, placed across the bed up against the bulkhead. You can fit a 90 litre tank there (but it does mean you lose 2 side facing seats (one at each side). on SWMBO's 3.9 EFi Auto 90 that gives just short of 200 miles range in normal use.

You fail to mention which 90 you have but on a TD5 or other model with the petrol tank at the rear you could suspend a tank under the drivers seat (removing the underseat box and relocating ECU's etc...). You could suspend a tank under the rear floor but capacity would be limited. You could replace the existing petrol tank with a suitable sized LPG tank and get a small custom petrol tank made to slot somewhere.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Thanks Dave,

I would like a Rag top Defender built with a V8 engine.

The OM promised I could have one in 2 years and I am going to hold him to it.

I Want a LPG conversion but did not realy want a tank visible.

Thanks

Zen

In message , Zen writes

I've got 77 litres underneath mine. (98 50th Anniversary) Tanks come just underneath chassis line so not suitable for off-roading.

Reply to
hugh

On or around Sat, 6 Dec 2003 16:57:19 +0000 (UTC), Dave White enlightened us thusly:

you can also put it lengthways along one side, on the wheelbox, better if the tank has intenal baffles in this case but not essential. You still lose

2 rear seat spaces but this time both on one side :-) You gain in having the full floor area still available for cargo. I know someone has a 60l tank fitted thusly on a SII.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Pedantic yes, OT, no. You can fit LPG to a TD5 if you like, would go well too if the other LPG Dielsels I've driven and seen are anything to go by but then you knew that already didn't you. Given the numb nature of a TD5 anyway, anything that gives it a kick up the arse isn't a bad thing IMV.

To REALLY upset you, my 200TDi 110 has a 100 inch wheelbase,a 3.9EFi ( that's an EFI PETROL 8 cylinder engine), RR auto and a TD5 dashboard in it and I STILL call it my 110. SWMBO's 300TDi 90 has a RR 3.9EFi (that's an EFI PETROL 8 cylinder engine), RR auto and a TD5 dashboard in it. Just because you are boring enough to have a TD5 engine fitted to your TD5 model doesn't mean everyone has to.

FYI: It is not unusual to refer to Land Rover Models by their engine fitment at the time they were born rather than their model year as it's often easier that way. Defenders and Discoveries have had a range of dielsel engine changes, each one marking a number of other styling and layout changes. My Discovery is known as a 300 (that's a TURBO DIELSEL 4 cylinder engine) model which any Discovery officianado will recognise instantly as a late Series I Discovery. It also has a 3.9EFi engine and an LPG kit but it's still a 300 Series Disco. It's easier to remember engine configurations than model years IMV regardless of what engine is actually fitted to it. Obviously with pedants like you around we'd better start using chassis number ranges instead.

Dave W.

Dave White

You fail to mention which 90 you have but on a TD5 or other model with

Hmm.... must go and check my TD5 immediately for a petrol tank, and to think I have been running it on diesel all this time, I wonder if that will harm the TURBO DIELSEL 5 cylinder engine, running it on diesel and not petrol. Of course that is just being pedantic and completely OT for LPG tank placements. ;¬)

Reply to
Mark

Er, guess this guy pissed you off Dave --

:0)

`Agrippa

Reply to
Agrippa

and there was me having a little fun at your expense, seems like somebody hasn't got themselves some Christmas cheer yet! Of course if I was wealthy enough to have two defenders and a Disco in the family, I'd be pretty pleased with myself and nothing on Usenet would spoil that. If you really want we could just cut to the chase and scan pictures of our penis's to see who has the biggest one, but I think the rest of the list might get a little upset.

Mark

BTW the TD5 isn't a bad lump, so stop being so a mysoginist.

Reply to
Mark

"Mark" wrote

Not at all Mark. I will be fitting an LPG tank to my 2002 Defender

130 Td5 next year. I am converting it to a motorhome / expedition vehicle and the LPG will be used only for heating and cooking.

As all space above the chassis will be for living in, it will probably go under. I don't want full off road capability, but wish to keep as much clearance as possible.

Any suggestions?

"hugh" also wrote

This and other posts in this thread do not say if 77 litres is the tank size or the volume of LPG. As an example a standard 80 litre tank can hold 64 litres.

Reg.

Reply to
Reg

On or around Tue, 9 Dec 2003 23:28:08 -0000, "Reg" enlightened us thusly:

how much capacity are you looking for? On a 130, I'd be inclined to go for long, narrow sill tanks - you've 20" more usable sill than my 110. They do these for Range Rovers. Provided you keep the tank diameter small enough, it'll not protrude down below the chassis.

true 'nuff. The tanks are sold by water capacity, but you only fill them to

80%. Personally, I reckon it'd be better to sell 'em by the usable capacity rather than the volume.

remember that in comparing volumes and cylinders, the gas is approx half a kilo per litre, so a tank which holds 38 litres equates roughly to a 19Kg cylinder.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Reg writes

In that case you won't need massive tank. Work out the weight of gas you wish to carry, multiply by 2 to give approximate liquid litreage That is

80% of tank capacity you require.
Reply to
hugh

My Discovery is known as a 300. It also has a 3.9EFi engine and

Dave you really need some help with your V8 auto addiction! Not forgetting the big green RaRo V8 you use for trialing too - that makes

4! 4!!! 4!!!!! V8 autos.

hmmmmm, drools quietly in a corner...... ps. how come we`ve never seen your 100" doing any trials, one of my dream vehicles would be a 100" csw defender (but it would have a

300tdi not a V8)

Nick C

Reply to
Nick C

On or around 12 Dec 2003 00:22:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Nick C) enlightened us thusly:

probably so that at least 1 is working...

110 CSW with a V8 auto works well, when it's working that is :-)
Reply to
Austin Shackles

The 100" is still under construction. After the driving day on the 28th December the Range Rover is being retired (dismantled) to donate some of it's parts to the 100".

The 100" WILL be ready for it's first challenge event at the end of March and possible for our trial at the beginning of March.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

I fitted two tanks on my defender.

I relocated the battery into the engine bay where it should have been in the first place and then removed the battery box (you have to take the seat box out to do this). That gave room for a 35l tank. Then I fitted a 50l tank just behind the rear xmember. Both tanks are NOT lower than anything else (those are the rules anyway). I also had one of the tank valves altered so that the 'ullage' (the space above a full tank) was in the 35l tank. In theory this gives me about 77l. I don't use mine off road, but I have not lost anything so I could if I wanted to.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Hale

On or around Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:09:33 -0000, "Mark Hale" enlightened us thusly:

The rules AFAIK state that if the tank is the lowest part of the vehicle, it must be 250mm/10" from the ground minimum. If the vehicle chassis/body projects lower than the tank, then the tank can be lower. So I guess if you fitted guard rails you could get away with it.

I trust the tanks aren't fitted with valvegear which allows the 100% full one to be isolated? Any system which gets a tank 100% full is very dangerous - thermal expansion of the liquid gas can force it out through the pressure relief valve (which it should have) in liquid form, resulting in a large sudden appearance of vapour, not good at all. If it hasn't got a PRV it could split the tank, which would be even worse.

Each tank should have an 80% fill restrictor, normally done with a float valve on the inlet and should have a PRV (pressure relief valve) which hopefully in the event of a fire allows the pressure to vent safely rather making your tank into a fair approximation of a bomb.

if you don't know the answer to any of the above, I advise you to have it checked.

multi-tank systems with tanks at different levels should also have non-return valves to prevent the upper tanks gradually filling the lower ones, resulting in the full-tank scenario mentioned above. The norm is for the tanks to be shut-off (isolated) when the system is off, but if it feeds from all tanks simultaneously when running the upper ones and lower ones both have open valves.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Although, having seen video of LPG tanks venting in a fire, "safely" in this context is a relative term :-)

Reply to
QrizB

Common in Australia, and fitted where necessary, is to use 3, 4, or 5 small LPG tanks made up into a manifold-style of structure, that still operates like a single tank. This keeps capacity up and keeps overall height down where ground clearance is an issue. Commonly used to replace petrol tanks of the type that are thin but spread over the width of the vehicle. Steve W.

Reply to
QuickDraw Steve

On or around Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:35:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@dev.nul (QrizB) enlightened us thusly:

aye, well...it's better than an actual explosion, I suppose. I've not seen one, but I can imagine that it's not exactly the sort of thing you want to stand beside

Reply to
Austin Shackles