LR Security

Hi,

Can anyone recommend the best manual security device I can get for my Landy (110 defender '98). I've had a look at the disklok at Halfords and as far as I'm aware its ok (thatcham cat 3), but it is huge, and I'd rather not have that kicking about the cab.

I'm aware if the peddle locking devices, can anyone recommend any of these.

Can anyone tell me the diameter of a standard landrover steering wheel so if I go for the disklok I can get the right size?

Cheers Dave

Reply to
Dave

I use a clutch claw on my 110. How effective it would be I don't know, but it is very well made and a quite substantial bit of kit. It definitely wouldn't be too easy to remove without the keys.

You'd most likely need oxy cutting gear or an angle grinder which would hopefully draw someones attention to the fact someones trying to nick your Landy.

In my 110 I can get it to entwine itself in the frame of the centre rear seat which is a very handy, safe, easy to reach storage place for it.

Can't you just measure yours? :-)

Reply to
Simon Barr

Na just remove the pedals easier than removing the clutch claw.

seriosly I thougt to myself after I had a bit of difficulty turning the key on mine how I would ever remove the bugger and I reckoned saw off the pedals and jerry build a makeshift to replace them :)

You can even drive without a steering wheel if you have to, I have herd of using mole grips on the column.

Reply to
Larry

On or around Tue, 3 May 2005 20:37:47 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

Bet you've never tried it... :-) 's not as easy as it looks. did it once on a dead tractor.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

remember once when my throttle cable snapped on a previos motor, at least that wont happen with my Landie (mind you the links have gone awol)

at the moment my biggest concern is that my handbrake has given up the ghost on anything but a moderate slope :(

Reply to
Larry

If it's petrol taking the rotor arm with you is fair security! I always leave mine in transfer box neutral too, it may just fool somone long enough to put them off. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

right buggers up the splined bit on the end of the column too.

Reply to
Tom Woods

True, you could cut the pedals off, but you won't be driving it anywhere if you do! I guess someone could knock up something in advance to slip on to the stumps left by cutting the pedals off.

I reckon if someone is that determined to get your vehicle then you will have a tough time stopping them anyway.

IMHO the clutch claw should stop most people for long enough to deter them.

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around Tue, 3 May 2005 21:46:12 +0000 (UTC), "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

On the 110, when it had carb for petrol and LPG, it had an "off" position on the (unmarked) changeover switch, which was a cunning security device; applied equally well after it went gas-only, as it still had an "off" position. Granted, it'd be easily bypassed, but only if you know you have to and know what to connect.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes but not with a 30cm office ruler... ;-)

Reply to
Dave at Home

we sell the Small Disklok, just sold one to a guy with a Freelander and it was fine. The Small version fits wheels up to 39cm or 15.5 inches.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
crackcrime.com

I've got a locking cubby box between the front seats that is certainly more secure than the rest of my truck. I'm thinking of mounting a switch inside the box and wiring it to the electric fuel pump.

I use a club on the steering wheel, but I realize that's mostly cosmetic!

-Chris Estes-

Reply to
chris.estes