LR3 / Disco 3 Off Road Tire Size

I have a US Spec 2005 LR3 SEV8 and I am looking for advice on fitting offroad wheels and tires to the vehicle. I'm only seeing 15 inch and

16 inch wheel sizes in LR magazines and I was wondering if anyone knows of any 18 inch options? Would prefer to keep the OEM suspension setup..

Questions if no 18 inch option:

1) Will 17 inch fit - I assume so because the base US LR3 comes with 17 inch wheels. Does anyone know of a 17 inch wheel supplier? 2) What is the max tire size in order to not scrub the wheel wells? 3) Will other wheel sized clear the brakes of the 3?

The dealer looked at me like I was growing a second head when I said I was planning an off-road trip to Northern Canada and wouldn't assist me in answering for "liability reasons" (prob. used to selling LRs to Soccer Moms).

Help?

Brian

Reply to
Brian

The reason the dealer thought you were nuts is because if you plus size your wheels, you lose sidewall on the tire to enable the package to still fit in the wheel well and still turn, drive and ride correctly.

Less tire sidewall in offroading = bent/broken wheels and suspension parts. There is absolutely NO reason to put bigger wheels on an SUV for offroading!!!! Keep the bling on the road.

Of course the US based LR3 comes with needlessly huge wheels. We americans never take the damn things off road.

Reply to
Anthony

Have a look here

loads of advice and options, most seem to fit Cooper STT on the 17" rims, General Grabber AT2's on the 18" and Goodyear MTR's on the 19"

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

You misunderstand my question... I want to put SMALLER wheels (16 inch vs 18 inch) on but want to know if the they will clear the brakes and if the larger circumference will work in the LR3 well. Or I want to know if anyone knows of a manufacturer that makes 18 inch off-road tires that fit my OEM wheels.

Reply to
Brian

As I said in my earlier post, General grabber AT2's in original stock size

255/60/18's are the only 18" tyre. You can't put 16" rims on, they won't clear. >
Reply to
Andrew Cooke

Yes, they should, since the OEM spec on UK models is 16"

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Sorry, you're wrong, the Disco 3 comes with 17" rims on the base model, 18's on the S and SE and 19's on the HSE

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

Fair enough, I'll keep my mouth shut about that which I know nowt!

Stuart Crawling back under his 110 - a proper Land Rover!

Reply to
Stuart Gray