LRS Standrard or regional?

The standard spider fitting to my landrovers, both Daisy and Rose appears to be a Garden Spider latin name Araneus diadematus. Is this the standard fit, or is there a deluxe version for Discos and Rangies?

Rory Manton

1957 109 Series One, Daisy 1965 Series 11 SWB GS , Rose.
Reply to
Rory Manton

110s here in Australia get redbacks or huntsmans, and the occasional green treefrog, I don't think you could get a lot more upmarket than that.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

We didn't exactly get a cat with the lightweight, but the farm mog has been known to sit on a front mudguard and _watch_.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Upmarket??? Shouldn't that be dangerous? I'm not very good on Aussie spiders! The tree frog is good though. I dread to think what would happen if when cruising down the highway, a huntsman's or Redback spider dropped from behind the sun visor into my lap!

Reply to
Wolverine

I seem to have the same species in both the 2a & the 110 - mostly redbacks and those black garden spiders. Very occasionally a huntsman. Never had a tree frog though, probably because of the drought, or too far inland anyway. JD

Reply to
JD

All those Ozzy creepy-crawlies that try to kill you are God's way of telling us we shouldn't live in Australia!

Reply to
Exit

It does appear that the treefrog is a coastal Queensland optional fitment! Although I have seen them on mine sites a long way inland.

Good thing about the redbacks is that they just hang about in their webs without bothering humans too much, the Huntsman's however are high speed athletes and can make it from the back door to the sunvisor in a couple of seconds, even with the vehicle travelling at speed. Treefrogs can hang onto the wing tops up to around 60km/h, until they seem to get giddy and hop off.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Redback isn't very good for you.

ISTR Huntsman isn't dangerous, but looks like it could kick you to death... I've come across a few in Australia, and as a confirmed arachnophobe didn't really want to engage them in conversation.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Try googling for camel spiders. There is an email doing the rounds claiming these are deadly spiders that are eating our troops alive in Iraq.

It would appear they are harmless to humans but they don't half look mean!

Reply to
Simon Barr

A neighbour went for a trip up into the mountains west of Sydney here in Oz and came back with a funnelweb in the car. Abso-bloody-lutely what I wouldn't want anywhere near me.

Ron Emu Plains, Australia

Reply to
The Becketts

Jeez, in Oz there's only crocodiles and sharks to eat you. In the USA they have bears and cougars and wolves and....

OK, so the occasional kangaroo will try to disembowel you... Oh, and the occasional koala will drop from trees onto your head and eat your brains out (the British are safe). Admittedly we have a few snakes that will kill you exceptionally quickly. And the funnleweb spider is humungous and extremely deadly.

But this place is safe in comparison to other places in the world.

Ron Emu Plains, Australia

Reply to
The Becketts

(snip) Not for nothing is it known as the "Sydney Funnelweb" - although its range is being fouund to be a lot wider than had been assumed for the last two hundred years. (For those not in the know, Emu Plains is an outer suburb of Sydney, and the funnelweb is a dangerously poisonous spider) JD

Reply to
JD

Britain is quite dangerous... I got a very nasty gnat bite a couple of years ago. I reckon it took about 3 hours to stop itching - I nearly had to go to hospital.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Yeah - I hit a pigeon with my roof rack and it was really messy to clean up. And our squirrels can be quite militant at times. This place is a nightmare.

Reply to
David French

Sounds like you are under attack from the woodland alliance.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

in article BCCCF527.18A92% snipped-for-privacy@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk, Rory Manton at snipped-for-privacy@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk wrote on 16/5/04 10:38 am:

Tegenaria gigantea ( House Spider) one of the large sort. In the Discovery

- inside a pair of wellie boots. Good job I shook them out first before putting them on.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley