LT230 stiff to select high/low range

Anyone know about LT230 transfer boxes? Mine's very stiff to change between high/low and back again. I know you have to sometimes jiggle the gears about a bit (I have to nudge between drive/neutral/reverse) to get the gears to drop in, but the lever is really stiff. Diff lock by moving the lever left/right is fine. I've had the selector housing off the top of the box to check that moves freely, as does the linkage, it's something inside the box that's stiff. Any ideas?

Alan C

'88 3.5 RRC '98 4.6 RR HSE

Reply to
alan.cutler

On or around 21 Jul 2005 04:11:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bbc.co.uk enlightened us thusly:

I was about to say "linkage is crudded up", when I read the last bit. Not much clue about internal bits in the box, but it's not gonna be cheap to sort - box out and part-strip at least...

You are *sure* all the external bits are free?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A silly question but you are moving at 2-5mph when you are changing it?

Regards

Brian Tonks

Reply to
Brian Tonks

Perhaps just try using it a bit and see if it free's it up?

Reply to
Tom Woods

I had one seize up in a similar fashion. The hi/lo lever works on a rod in a housing on top of the xfer box. Said rod has the gear selector on it. In my case the rod was seized in it's housing; it is only splash lubricated. The housing is held on (from memory) by 6 bolts, and I seem to remember it is visible and accessible with the gearbox/transmission cover removed. You might need to remove the floor panels to get it off, I can't remember if the floors are above or under the gearbox cover. Remove bolts, remove housing and free the rod. To prevent it happening again, use low range more often and/or tilt the vehicle to more extreme angles to slop the oil around a bit!

Reply to
gbubb

Oops, just seen that you're a RR man, in which case I don't know how to get at it, I was talking Defender. Anyway it's on top of the transfer box so might be a problem with a RR.

Gordon

Reply to
gbubb