LT77 broken bit

In replacing the gearbox oil in a Defender I recently purchased (and which drives and shifts very well), I found a broken e-clip (c-shaped small clip) in the screen filter on top of the drain plug. From what I can see on LT77 diagrams, there are a few of these e-clips located in the gearbox.

Question: do I need to worry about this missing e-clip? As I said, the gearbox shifts well, no noises, no jumping out of gears, etc. The oil looked very old in the gearbox (77,000 kms) so it had not been changed in a long time, if ever. I'd rather not have to pull it out and take it apart to find where the e-clip is missing, but then again, I don't want to face sudden gearbox failure on a trip somewhere...

Thank you for your thoughts.

Reply to
Robert St-Louis

No. You should be more worried about why your Landrover doesn't appear to have a Landrover gearbox in it! :-)

Reply to
Steve Morgan

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

Yes the LT77 is the older gearbox for Landrover!!!

Cant say whether or not you should strip and locate the circlip... totally up to you.

Reply to
Mike

Robert, Hi, There are two C clips in a LT77 box, one on the fulcram lever for the reverse gear, it has a C clip on one side of the pin, the other larger C clip is on the selector shaft inside the aluminium gear box extention, which can be seen if you take the gear change mechanism of the box. The reverse one require a strip down. Rotty

Reply to
Rotty

Thanks Rotty, that's the kind of info I was looking for. The e-clip that broke and fell out looks like it was around 3/4" across, so I imagine it may have been the smaller one (on the reverse). Now and then, I have to fish a bit with the stickshift to find reverse, so that may be a result of that clip missing. If it's no more than that, I can live with it (unless some day I find myself not able to get into reverse at all!). As I said, everything else works great with the gearbox. Regards, Robert.

Reply to
Robert St-Louis