LT77 Discovery problem

Wife was driving the Disco today when all of a sudden the movement of the gear stick became loose (excessive side to side movement) It is now very difficult to find first and second gear because the stick goes all the way over to the left where reverse is situated - whereas before you would have to force it over when selecting reverse. Anyone know what the problem is here and the likely cost? (and whether it's a DIY job?)

Thanks in advance

Nick Bristol

1992 200 TDi Discovery
Reply to
nickbux

stephen.oconnell

update.

I've now sorted the problem here. It was not either of the bias springs as thought, but the reverse gear plunger. This is mounted to the side of the bias springs and provides the resistance when selecting reverse, it also connects via another plunger to the reverse gear switch. It is held in place by one 1/2" bolt ( you need an angled spanner to reach it). As with the bias springs you need to remove the centre console, gear sticks and rubber cover to provide access. Mine was sticking, I've oiled and greased it up and it seems ok at the moment. They're approx £42 to buy.

Thanks to those that responded to my original request.

Nick

Reply to
nickaboo