LT85 5th gear noise

Having just taken BigBlue round the block and got it into 5th and discovered how quiet it is compared to 5th in Rudolph. I'm kind of questioning wether Rudolph is typical of other LT85's? 1st to 4th is lovely and quiet. Put it into 5th and the noise level goes up *dramatically*, despite lots of sound deadening material and carpet. Its a sort of bearingy/metallic whooshhhhhh sound. Familiar? As for volume level, you can talk loudly over it, just. But it is getting to be unpleasent.

So, are recon's any better? or even worth the expense? I tend to go with the 'if it aint broke.... dont fix it' principle. Or has anyone discovered any magic potions (snake oil?) that quietens it down and lasts more than 5 minutes?

Thanks, Beth

Reply to
Beth Clarke

Hi,

I heard LT85's are meant to have bad (layshaft?) bearing loading in 5th gear which wears the bearings faster than normal causing the noise. First thing to do is check the oil level (is it upto the filler hole?)

What oil are you running in it? Although some Land Rover books say to use ATF, i've heard it's too thin & watery. I changed to engine oil in my LT85 made quite a difference: Runs quieter Slicker shifting when box is hot (less notchy) Thicker oil so slower leaks harder to shift when box is cold

Hope this helps, Tom

Reply to
Tom Gilmour

Yup. Changed less than 2k miles ago.

My book says engine oil so thats what I've been putting in it. And not all engine oils are made equal either. Even the good synthetics seem to get chopped up and the box gets noisier within a 1000 miles. Thanks for your thoughts. Beth

Reply to
Beth Clarke

Good to hear big blues on the road.... is Paul back in the driving seat yet?

......just checked out the site.

Blue is looking good! can't wait for the next installment! Lee D

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Its not quite what you might call on the road. But it has been round the road, as it were... A few things to sort out before I can take it for an MOT. Nothing major so far .

As for Paul... No. He's got to wait until IIRC March before he can apply to get his licence back. Then DVLA write to his consultant and GP and... So as long as he doesn't have any more seizures he might have it back around May time .

Beth

Reply to
Beth Clarke