Lumpy steering!

Having been really pleased with myself for fitting power steering to my 1990

90, some of the shine has started to wear off.

Over the past couple of weeks, the steering has gone from being smooth and effortless to being distinctly 'lumpy'. As you turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, the force required to turn the wheel increases and decreases. It seems to go through a maximum about every quarter turn. It feels as if there's a UJ seizing up somewhere.

The change co-incided with changing the tyres from the normal el-cheapo Kingpin M-Ts to a set of Michelin XPCs which I keep for long journeys, and a trip to the Mendips and back (from Buxton). The vehicle is not used for day-to-day transport (I walk to work). It's not a sudden change - it's definitely got worse over the last week or so.

I've done precisely nothing to try to diagnose or fix the problem yet, not even check the PAS fluid level, but I plan to take a close look on Saturday. I'm also going to change back the cheaper tyres since I have no long journeys in it planned.

I'm posting in the hope that someone will give me some extra ideas of what to look for and help me nail this one in a single day.

TIA

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Williams

... and it could be. Lubricate the UJs in the steering column between the wheel and the steering box.

It might not be the whole answer but it's cheap and easy to eliminate on common possibility.

Reply to
Dougal

My 90 was the same. There are 2 uj's on the shaft from the wheel to the box. Bit of WD40 for a test, if it works cover them in something more substantial!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Quite likely the cause, but be careful what you use to lubricate them - they have nylon bushes which may react (i.e. melt). If lubrication does work, it's only putting off the inevitable.....

Check the belt is not slipping as well - they don't always sqeual!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Absolutely. Start with the easy bits.

I'd also look at the various steering rods, linkages and king pins ... had a similar problem after bending a rod very close to the end. Just make sure they're straight. Might also be worth jacking the front up and getting someone to turn the wheels whilst you look at what's happening underneath. Indeed, try turning the wheel yourself and see if it feels the same as when driving.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:11:23 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

given that it's recently-fitted PAS, check your belt tension.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Nick Williams uttered summat worrerz funny about:

All of the replies so far are good, but most miss the obvious. You seem to be suffering from what many modern Landrover owners suffer from.

Degrdation of the arm muscle, many report these symptoms when moving from series vehicles to modern vehicles with power steering. In your case the symptoms are more acute because;

a)You alterered the laws of Physics without repramming you own ECU b) you walk to work (This is quite dangerous as next you may be drawn uncontrollably to trees and find you need to hug them)

In the case of ; a) your brain still thinks the landy does not have power steering, yet the return feed from your arms tells your brain a different story. Reprogramming your brain is not simple but it may help to paint the car a different colour and have a cherrished number transfered on to the car. Also parking it in a different location on the drive may help, fixing an oil leak BUT ensuring another oil leak commences to ensure good Zen is practiced also helps.

b) Is equally as problematic, either you need to sign up with a local gym and concentrate on upper arm and chest exercises or buy a 101. If you are only using it for a weekend then a Series won't do.. the 90 will still feel lumpy... using a 101 will ensure that the muscle tone is suitably firm enough to get over your symptoms and also avoid the side effect as when using the 101 you will also be trying to dodge trees rather than hug them.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:24:59 +0100, Lee_D wrote (in article ):

LOL - great reply!

Of course. As a physics graduate, I should have been aware of this problem. Stupid of me.

I walk to work because it's quicker than driving - I live about 200 ft from my office! The only time I get drawn uncontrollably to trees is when I have a chain saw in my hands....

It's three shades of s**te (sorry, white) plus algae all over the roof already. How much more like a hippy mobile does it need to be?

I 'm afraid I subscribe to John Peel's dictum: "personalised number plate - sure sign of a d*****ad". Will certainly follow the advice re oil leaks, however.

Believe me, a 101 is on the list for when I'm rich and famous and don't bother about the famous please. Having just bought 30 acres of farmland, I'm afraid that's not likely to be soon.

I would have had one instead of the 90 if I'd been able to find what I was looking for at the right moment, I was also told by someone who used to drive them for a living that at 6'4" I might find it difficult to fit in one but I don't know if that's true.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Williams

tis Bollocks! I'm about 6'3" and i fit in the 101 better than in the 2A or the car. I've had to extend the wipers mind as there is a good 6 inches of wasted screen at the top of a 101 as standard! - but i'm still looking through the screen and in the ambi have about 18" or headroom! :)

In the 2A i have to peer round the top bar of the screen.

I think a more critical measurement as to wether you fit in a 101 is down to how many pies youve scoffed, though a fair few 101 owners seem to wedge themselves in anyhow.....

Reply to
Tom Woods

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:01:25 +0100, Nick Williams wrote (in article ):

Congrats to all who said it was the steering column UJs. The bottom one was very stiff on one axis (although, peculiarly, fine on the other).

For the record, oiling it in situ did not make a lot of difference - I had to take it off and abuse it rather more forcefully. I'll replace it completely within the next week or two.

Of course, I forgot that the splined ends on the steering box, steering column and the ends of the connecting shaft each have an indent so the joint does not come off even if the clamp bolt is loose. I only remembered this after spending two hours trying to get the UJ's and connecting shaft off the vehicle with the bolts loosened but not removed. By which time I had actually unbolted the steering box from the chassis and managed to lose all the ATF in the reservoir when the pipe came off. Adult language was used (mostly at my own stupidity, it has to be said)!

Thanks, all!

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Williams

Used a pressure washer (once) to clean the engine compartment of my RRC. Then left it for rust to replace the oil for a week :-(

The resulting sensation of the lubrication-free UJs binding had me looking up the prices of steering boxes. The far cheaper solution, as suggested by a far calmer individual, was a few blasts of WD40 on the UJs.

I understand that it's good to get the panicking done with first and then eliminate the obvious! I have yet to achieve this!

BOL

Richard

Reply to
Richard