M6 Toll

Evening all, I live at the Craddocks end of the M6 toll and after the incident the other day when a woman was charged £5 for a Nissan Terrano, I've been looking into what the charges for my 110 would be. Apparently the criterion is that if a vehicle is over 1.3 metres above the front axle it is a van.

Now leaving aside the point that the last person who called my 110 a van is still in theatre(It's not called DOOM TRADER for nothing!), it occurred to me that as most of the people on this group tend to have things like Jerry cans and roof tents bolted on, there must be a hell of a lot of 'Vans' out there.

Now anyone who knows me on this group will know, I'm fairly law abiding most of the time and not one to encourage people to break the law, but we couldn't half screw up the system, if all of us 'Van' owners drove very slowly from opposite ends of the toll road at the same time.

Just a thought!!!

Anyway, Happy Christmas to everyone out there who knows me. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

If that's their definition of a van then both my Volvo and RaRo are vans. What sort of cretins are these people? I'll definitely join your go-slow if they don't do something about that.

David

Reply to
David French

It was on Midlands today yesterday that they are being forced into a rethink on prices after outraged MPV drivers were charged van rates

Si

Reply to
simonk

"John Stokes" wrote in news:brflc8$gt8$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

Ironically, my Citroen Dispatch (which is clearly a van) is about 1.2 metres high at the front axle. However, I doubt that they'd let me dive into the back for a tape measure to prove it.

Of more concern is that most MPVs are van-derived cars. For example, the Citroen Synergie is based on my van, the V-class Mercedes is based on the Vito, and the Ford Tourneo is based on the Transit. Even the MPVs that are not van-based still have van-shaped front-ends. So, if they go on height at the front axle, they'll be charging a lot of MPV drivers double the car rate.

However, the Severn Bridge tolls make even less sense. They charge twice as much (£9) for a tiny van (say, a Peugot 206 van) as for a big car or even a 3.5 tonne motorhome (£4.50). It doesn't matter that you have a private van that you use as a car -- you still have to pay double.

Reply to
Geoff Lane

We went for a drive down it on the day it opened (got the certificate too!) As we came into the toll booth the display was reading £5 (we were in the disco) but then changed to £2, I guess the booth operator saw the wife and kids and changed it to car perhaps.

Aside from that the journey from junction T2 Cannock down to M42 J6 (airport) was about 20mins, beats the pants off sitting on the M6 and all the hassle of that M5 junction!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Ward

Is there still a FREE bit of Motorway, if not, I'll just avoid Brum in the future

Reply to
ParrotCam

I think the best thing to do is check the vehicle as it passes a point before the toll booth with a verticle array of infra-red beams. Pass this through a computer to determine the profile of the vehicle. If there isn't clear line of sight through the vehicle at say 300mm in and down from the back corner of the vehicle then it's either a van, an estate car loaded above seat height or one of those cars with poncey blacked out rear windows (sorry, privacy glass) - all of which, in my opinion, should be charged at the van rate.

Simon U

Reply to
SimonU

The last time I crossed the Severn bridge (into Wales) I was in the 109 and was told by the lady in the booth (and I quote)

" I charge all my landrovers as cars"

Whether this is company/council policy or just hers I don't know but it was very nice to here.

Anyone else had this ?

Reply to
Smurf

What happens if they want to charge you £5 and you refuse to pay. Do you reverse back up the M6?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Once upon a time I was going to drive over the humber bridge assuming the tax exempt status of my limo at that time gave me (and my disabled mum who had an orange badge) droit de passage, it didn't so I did a U turn holding up all the traffic just to show them I wasn't going to pay.

Reply to
Larry

I reckon with my maximum speed being half of what the usual traffic is capable of I should get half price. Anyway if everyone decamps to the relief road thinking there will be less congestion it should leave the M6 free anyway.

Reply to
Larry

On or around Sun, 14 Dec 2003 01:32:34 -0000, "Smurf" enlightened us thusly:

don't know, I'm too tight to pay the tolls, so tend to come back through Gloucester. I grant you this solution isn't so effective if you're trying to get to Newport.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

# Yup - The Severn Bridge is a mystery (I guess they have to set a baseline for their tolls and go from there). I've been over it in Transits and Ford pickups towing light trailers - get charged the van rate. Turn up in Range Ruster or Landrover towing heavy horse trailers (total unit weighing about twice the pickup/trailer combo) and get charged £4.50 when I was expecting to get charged at least the van rate.

Now I just head for the cash bin and chuck £4.50 in and off we go - creates all sort of havoc then trying to get from the outside of about 10 lanes to the nearside - wonder if they'll put a cash bin on the nearside for me?

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

You rebel.

Reply to
Nikki

In article , Graeme writes

I usually take the R80 - it's free.

When t'better half took a borrowed 110 to Tintern last summer she paid the car rate, despite having 10 people on board!

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Could that be on the same basis that an ex-colleague of mine got stopped doing 96 on the M40 in her BMW convertible, and got off with a warning when she tossed her blonde hair and fluttered her long eyelashes at the nice officer?

Reply to
David French

In article , David French writes

Possibly, she's certainly blond and has long eyelashes :) But the three or four pre-teenage thugs in the back at the time (and that's just the girls!) might have spoiled the image somewhat.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig